Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP MAXIMUM PREFIX penalty

ighoisgreat
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all

I work for a service provider and I have set my bgp maximum prefix for routes from my  customers to 500 but a particular customer wants to extend this. I could permit this but managent has asked me to find out how othere service providers manage this. Are there any cost implication I could set on this?        I want to know how other service providers such as verizon, AT$T, Cable and Wireless Qwest, verizon and other big providers manage such customers as this .

Regards to all and thank you so much for your contributions.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I don't work for SPs, but I think in order for you to charge the customer more money, because they want to advertise more prefixes, it has to be part of your contact with that customer.  So, if your current contract say they can only advertise up to 500 prefixes and now they want to advertise 600, then the customer need to pay for the additional 100 prefixes.

HTH

Reza

Luc De Ghein
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

AFAIK, there are no cost implications. It is only used as a security measure.

Thanks,

Luc

Hi

I work for a SP, we use MAXIMUM PREFIX as a safeguarding only.

To prevent customers from accidentially announce internet table 370k prefixes into MPLS VPN.

(it would be configured on BGP towards customer as well)

The configuration and the application is not the issue here. What I am concerned

about is the case where you have a policy of only X number of prefixes from the client but this special client wants to do (X + Y) prefixes. Would you place an additional financial cost for each additional prefix. I guess this would also make the customer try to avoid the additional finacial cost and then try as much as possible to summarize his routes more efficiently to avoid the excess prefix and additional financial cost.

In your organisation, if at all this has been the case, what fraction of the original financial cost does he have to pay for the additional prefixes and if not, if such a customer comes, do you just permit him to advertise the more additional prefixes without any charge?

regards,

IGHO.

As long as we offer prefixes we have no limit, we give as much as it can take for no additional costs. Keep in mind we have long term contracts/partnerships and this comes a normal answer to a customer's request.

If we are to receive, we have STRICT regulations that shutdowns the session after the treshold is exceeded.

Ma Juner
Level 1
Level 1

I work in SP. We have some strict regulations as to e use BGP MAXIMUM PREFIX penalty for CUSTOMER BGP peer, usually the MAXIMUM value is configured the twice number of the CUSTOMER routes !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: