cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP route not installed

sumit menaria
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the scenario (Also attached the diagram)

(Internal network1 )-----CE1------------PE1------------MPLS(RR)------------PE2--------CE2---------(Internal network1)

Routing protocol is BGP everywhere i.e

Internal network -CE1

CE1-PE1

CE2-PE2

and CE2 to Internal network

Now both the internal network 1 and two are having same prefix 10.10.10.10 which they are advertsing to CE1 and CE2 respectively.

The customer wants these two prefixes to be received at both the routers.Like one from internal network to the CE1 and other from the CE2-CE1 via PE1 and PE2.

However due to the split horizon behaviour of BGP ,I am unable to see this prefix in one of the CEs.

As in he CE1 is receiving  two routes one received from the PE1 and other from the CE2 ,however CE2 is not receiving the route from CE1.

This is due to the reason that ,when PE1 receives a route from CE1 it is already having another route which was received from PE2 ,so it is only considering that route.Hence it is not advertising this prefix to the RR  due to split horizon.

Please not that the AS path for both the prefixes is different since we have different AS in both the internal networks.However we have the same AS number for the CEs and I am using as-override for this.

Can someone please suggest me how I could tweak the solution so that the customer received both the routes at both the locations.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

nsateam01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sumit,

As you stated, this is normal behavior for this protocol. BGP will look at the recieved prefixes in the BGP table but only install the best route in the routing table.

If the customer just wants to make sure the CE is learning both prefixes, then a

"sh ip bgp" should prove that case.

I assume they are using one path for primary and one for backup? The only other BGP feature I can think of off the top of my head is BGP Multipath. But, you would need 2 WAN links on the same router to load share across the two BGP peers.

level 15 access to BGP Speaker?please contact me mabena.lukas@gmail.com