Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use EIGRP as a MPLS Backbone IGP

pverstegen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Always believed MPLS only runs on IS-IS and OSPF as backbone IGP. Is it possible to use EIGRP as a backbone IGP as well?

My customer uses EIGRP right now and we want to migrate VRF-lite to a real MPLS cloud. Can I re-use EIGRP?

Best regards,

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Peter,

For plain MPLS, there is no restriction that you need OSPF or ISIS. But when you plan to implement MPLS TE, you need a link state protocol. So if you dont have any plan to go for Traffic Engg, I think you can continue with EIGRP.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Peter,

For plain MPLS, there is no restriction that you need OSPF or ISIS. But when you plan to implement MPLS TE, you need a link state protocol. So if you dont have any plan to go for Traffic Engg, I think you can continue with EIGRP.

HTH,

Nagendra

There are number of service providers running EIGRP as IGP in the backbone...e.g Infonet (now BT Infonet) ran a worldwide MPLS  ISP

backbone with EIGRP.

It doesn't  have any probs if its ur IGP in the MPLS cloud..

Primary purpose of IGP in MPLS cloud is that every MPLS router should have routes for label switching...

and this objective can be acheived by any IGP, as far as scaling is not your main concern...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: