Views
Helpful
Replies

CE perspective questions

jimirwin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please pardon my entry-level knowledge of how these things work...

I am the customer. A basic representation of the network is:

CEa-----PE-----PE-----CEc

|

|

|

CEb-----PE-----PE-----CEd

All CE locations are my sites. CEa and CEb are part of the same OSPF area 0 as they are directly connected by a leased line.

The provider tells me that all the configuration I need to make this work is the following:

On each CE router, configure the frame circuit with provided IP / dlci, then

router bgp 1

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as 65000

no auto-summary

So my CE routers do not know of any mpls or vrf, they are simply running ospf internally and peering with bgp 65000 (the provider). From what I understand, this is called PE-based or Peer-VPN.

Prior to the implementation, which is scheduled in 2 weeks, all locations are connected by frame-relay and all are in the same ospf area 0.

Again, pardoning my ignorance, but that can't be all there is to it. I know I will need redistribution between bgp and ospf, but are there other questions I need to ask of the provider?

Thank you,

Jim

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The redistribution as you mentioned is the only thing missing in this picture. In most cases CE configuration are pretty straitghtforward.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Something to keep your eye on:

If you plan on using the same BGP AS for all of your sites (pretty common), make sure your MPLS VPN provider configures "as-path override" on the PE's ! If they don't, your sites will not see eachother's prefixes. Or worse, they will prefer your non-MPLS VPN links over the provider's MPLS backbone if you are also advertising these routes via OSPF. Good luck !

I'd like to think that the SP is able to handle that part. Otherwise, you're in for a bigger surprise ;o)

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México