Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFC3B vs DFC3C

I walked into a project and was handed a list of materials to look over. While going over the list I noticed both WS-F6700-DFC3B's and WS-F6700-DFC3C's, some on the same switch. This is the first I have operated in the 10gig world. What is the difference in these cards or does it matter? The first glaring thing I found was the differences in IOS requirements but that can be remedied through ROMMON. What problems am I going to run into.

thanks,

Chad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jayjorda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the DFC3C will support all the same features as the DFC3B. The 3C has a faster CPU and twice as much memory then the 3B. However if you have a Cat6500/Cisco7600 with both types of cards installed in it, the system will operate at the lowest common denominator, in this case 3B. Which is perfectly fine. Primarily, since the 3B has less memory, the overall number of routes supported will be set to that which the 3B supports though one or more of the linecards is a 3C which has higher capacity.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jayjorda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the DFC3C will support all the same features as the DFC3B. The 3C has a faster CPU and twice as much memory then the 3B. However if you have a Cat6500/Cisco7600 with both types of cards installed in it, the system will operate at the lowest common denominator, in this case 3B. Which is perfectly fine. Primarily, since the 3B has less memory, the overall number of routes supported will be set to that which the 3B supports though one or more of the linecards is a 3C which has higher capacity.

Restrictions for PFCs and DFCs with 12.2SX:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_release_note09186a00801c8339.html#wp2561312

A DFC3B will affect the a PFC3BXL if thats what you are running: PFC3BXL functionality is restricted by the DFC3B: after a reload with a DFC3B-equipped module installed, the PFC3BXL functions as a PFC3B (PFC3B mode)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: