Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between ASR 901 and ASR 920

lovejit1313
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts, @Georg Pauwen  

We are using ASR901 as PE router and We have two P routers for MPLS redundancy. We are using VPLS from the Service provider to connect PE to P.  Due to the limitation on 901, I have to shut down the SVI interface on one P router at the time and it breaks the WAN redundancy for our client.  They said replacing it with 920 will eliminate the issue. 

I want to know whats the main differences between both 901 vs 920 routers and also looking for other cost-effective options that work great as PE router by using VPLS.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

filopeter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

afaik the ASR901 does not support VPLS, just EoMPLS. You can you pseudowire redundancy to achieve high availability.

What kind of P routers do you use in your topology? Could you please provide some part of the configuration?

Best Regards,

P.

Hello @filopeter,

Can you explain more Pseudowire redundancy? Also is there any other cost-effective router available that supports MPLS over VPLS else than 901?

We are using ME3600 as P routers

Thanks

Under pseudowire redundancy I mean the following configuration on ASR901

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
no ip address
!
service instance 12 ethernet
encapsulation dot1q 12
rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
xconnect 172.16.0.14 3333 encapsulation mpls
backup peer 172.16.0.13 3333

If the primary PW goes down, the ASR 901 diverts traffic to the backup PW.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: