cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to diagnose PWE3 status

gaurav_saxena
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario where multiple customers ethernet links are getting terminated on one switch and one of the trunked GBit port of switch is connected to a router Gigabit Ethernet port. Gig port is configured for dot1q encapsulation with suinterfaces created for each customer VLANs.

End to end EoMPLS tunnels are created for each customer over MPLS network between two cisco PE router.

My question here is how we will diagnose if last mile link of any customer goes down? Since customer links are terminated over switch, how we will find out on PE router if customer last mile link goes down?

5 Replies 5

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

monitor the individual switch ports?

Hi,

:-)

I wanted to diagnose on PE router.

Cheers

Gaurav

Hi,

:-)

I wanted to diagnose on PE router.

Cheers

Gaurav

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

the problem can be reformulated to: How can I monitor on a router connected to a LAN switch, whether one LAN switch port goes down?

Answer: Not, unless you can actively probe the status.

Sorry for the bad news, but you would need access to the customer network to f.e. ping end-to-end or, as Rick suggested, monitor the transport equipment (f.e. SNMP)

Regards, Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your answer. Is there any MIB available on cisco PE router which can monitor status/traffic flow/L2 end to end continuity check of PWE3 in case customer last mile termianting on switch, goes down?

Do you have any workaround for this situation? What i wanted to know atleast that connectivity on access side (from PE to customer CPE) is down by using some way like ARP details etc. Please share your ideas.

Cheers

Gaurav