Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup a Provider topology using OSPF as IGRP for P and PE routers

blue phoenix
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to create a typical provider topology in GNS3.

I would like to know what IOS to use for the:

- P routers

- PE routers

Also the minimum Hardware to use for:

- P routers

- PE routers

I am also going to use OSPF for the IGRP on the MPLS devices.

From what I am reading so far you would need 4 routers for the P routers, 4 routers for the PE routers and 2 CE's pointing to the 2 PE's

ce

/      \

pe     pe

|        |

p--------p

|        |

p--------p

|        |

pe       pe

\       /

ce

Kindly help send a link if there is any.

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Reynaldo,

There is no clear answer for your questions.

I would like to know what IOS to use for the:

It depends on what features do you need.

Also the minimum Hardware to use for:

It depends on size/traffic load/number of devices in your network

From what I am reading so far you would need 4 routers for the P routers, 4 routers for the PE routers and 2 CE's pointing to the 2 PE's

It depends on your topology how much redundancy do you need, how big is your budget. If you can not afford big spending, you don't have to implement any P routers. So for certain traffic your core routers will be P routers and for another type of traffic will be PE routers. 

My answers probably won't help you, but I am afraid that for these types of general questions there are not any other answers.

Best Regards

Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Sandip Rathod
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Reynaldo,

If you just want to test reachability between two CE over simple L3 VPN, then this topology is fine, just add RR in your topology, which connect to P router, and IBGP neighborship with both end PE router, if you want to check RR redundancy add additional RR

In GNS, maximum you can use 7200, you can use latest version of 7200 router.

But as blau said, image and hardware is all depend on what feature and what topology you want to implement, if you want to implement L2VPN / MPLS TE/ FRR, then you need to look into deep for image & hardware.

If you can let us know your exact requirement and what you want to achieve, we may try to help you out

Regards,

Sandip

Hi Sandip/Blau,

Thanks for your  answer,  we have MPLS in our WAN network and I would like to simulate the provider's network in order for us to  check configurations from our CE's before they are deployed into production.  Our CE routers are connected to the provider with encapuslation dot1q and using vlan tagging.

Please let me know the minimum hardware and IOS for the P router, PE router for this kind of setup?

CE to CE connectivity should be established, and CE to PE connectivity is via vlan with encapsulation of dot1q.

Hi Reynaldo

I would suggest, please take list of all feature you are going to deploy on P & PE router, and check on cisco feature navigator, which release supported against which hardware.

If you just want to test on GSN, pick up any latest image on 7200

Regards,

Sandip

I would like to run L3VPN on the P and PE.  The CE configuration is only encapsulation dot1q tagging.

I would like to run OSPF as IGP and BGP (or MPLS-BGP) in the P and PE.

I would like to know the minimum hardware for the P, PE, CE since I will need to run this non GNS3.

I would like to know what feature-set to also order for the setup.

Hi Reynaldo

If you are trying on GNS3, use 7200 for CE, PE and P router, and use below image

c7200-spservicesk9-mz.152-4.S.bin

Regards,

Sandip

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: