Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Multiple Group Optimization on SVI

Hi There,

I am trying to optimize a network with 100+ SVI running HSRP with Multiple Group Optimization. When I try to implement it on the SVI there is an error message as below.

% Warning: Named group "XYZ" is on a different major interface.

Is there any limitation on implementing group optimization at interface vlan?

Thanks

Prashanth

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I would suggest to post the chunk of config you are having problems with next time :P

However, the problem seems to be related to the fact that the same HSRP group is configured on a SVI part of the same interface, as per what stated in: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp_fhrp/configuration/12-2sr/fhp-12-2sr-book/fhp-hsrp.pdf

"The same HSRP group number or HSRP MAC address cannot be configured on different subinterfaces of the same major interface."

Digging into the doc I have linked above I guess You'll find many more interesting things about FHP.

Hope this helps, L.

Hi Loris,

Tks for the reply. Below is the command used.

interface Vlan9
 ip address 10.50.0.2 255.255.255.0
 standby version 2
 standby 9 ip 10.50.0.1
 standby 9 preempt
 standby 9 name XYZ
!
interface Vlan15
 ip address 10.100.0.2 255.255.255.0
 standby version 2
 standby 15 ip 10.100.0.1
 standby 15 follow XYZ

When I execute the last command

standby 15 follow XYZ

I got the error message that I had posted. I had simulated this on GNS3 and I don't see any issue if I apply under sub interface. So want to confirm whether there is limitation in applying slave command to an interface vlan.

Thanks

Prashanth

I believe the interested interface Vlans are trunked on the same physical interface, are they?

Thanks, L.

Yes The two switches are connected using trunk link

Regards
Prashanth