cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-AS option A , How BGP Next-HOP is changed?

xZamalek
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I'm trying to practice Inter-AS , i configured option A as per the below picture and the pings goes successfully from HSBC-1 to HSBC-2 , my question is when the BGP update for the loopback of HSBC-1 received by R5 , how R5 set him self as the next hop for this subnet?

1-an IPV4 BGP update goes from HSBC1 to R2

2-R2 will impose a transport and vpn label to this route and forward it to R3-RR

3-R3 will pop the label and send the update to R4 with the vpn label only.

4-R4 will send normal ipv4 EBGP update to r5 as they formed BGP neighbor under the same VRF.

6-R5 will receive the update and will impose a VPN+Transport label and send it to R6-RR as it has an MB-IBGP session.

My question is , when R5 receive the update and send it to R6-RR , the next hop on RR should be R4 because it's an EBGP update and R5 shouldn't modify the next hop when sending an update via MB-IBGP , could anyone explain to me how?

R6#show ip bgp vpnv4 all
BGP table version is 3, local router ID is 6.6.6.6
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i - internal,
r RIB-failure, S Stale
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

Network Next Hop Metric LocPrf Weight Path
Route Distinguisher: 2:100
*>i1.1.1.0/24 5.5.5.5 0 100 0 1 65001 i
*>i8.8.8.0/24 7.7.7.7 0 100 0 65002 i
R6#

1.1.1.1=loopback of HSBC-1

is the normal behavior for MB-IBGP updates that the router will announce it self as the next hop ??

OPTION-A.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @xZamalek ,

inter AS option A is simply back to back VRFs with the other provider PE seen as a CE node.

My question is , when R5 receive the update and send it to R6-RR , the next hop on RR should be R4 because it's an EBGP update and R5 shouldn't modify the next hop when sending an update via MB-IBGP , could anyone explain to me how?

In i MP BGP address family VPNv4 the eBGP next-hop of the CE node is not preserved but is changed to the source PE loopback address otherwise the VPN forwarding plane would fail ( the external label is provided by the LSP with destination the source PE).

What you see is normal and happens even in a single provider context, the rule of eBGP next-hop unchanged is not honored in address family VPNv4 or you want to see it in another way it is like if each VPNv4 neighbor had next-hop self configured automatically.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @xZamalek ,

inter AS option A is simply back to back VRFs with the other provider PE seen as a CE node.

In i MP BGP address family VPNv4 the eBGP next-hop of the CE node is not preserved but is changed to the source PE loopback address otherwise the VPN forwarding plane would fail ( the external label is provided by the LSP with destination the source PE).

What you see is normal and happens even in a single provider context, the rule of eBGP next-hop unchanged is not honored in address family VPNv4 or you want to see it in another way it is like if each VPNv4 neighbor had next-hop self configured automatically.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you Giuseppe , i have learned something new today , so shall we confirm the below process if it's correct?

1-when an IPV4 EBGP update is sent to the service provider under a vrf which will need to be forwarded as an MP-IBGP VPNV4 , the Next-Hop Address will be the loopback of the PE which already contained in the VPNV4 BGP neighbor command.

I have another question , in Option B , we will run an EBGP VPNV4 between ASRBS (R4 & R5) , this will lead to me ask the below question.

1-an MP-IBGP update will be send from R2 to RR then from RR to R4 with the next-hop of R2's Loopback.

2-an MB-EBGP will be sent from R4 to R5 and R5 will see the loopback of R4 as the next-hop.

3-R5 will send MP-IBGP update to R6 RR , but R5 will not modify the next hop to itself that's why i read in the book we will either use the next hop self on the PE or we can redistribute connected subnets leading to R4 , is that true that from MP-EBGP to MB-IBGP the next hop of R4 will be reserved ??

Hello @xZamalek ,

your understanding is correct in the case of MP eBGP for AF VPNv4 you need to configure next-hop self  explicitly towards the i MP BGP neighbors (internal neighbors)

In the case of a IPv4 eBGP session in VRF the creation of the VPNv4 prefix starting from an IPv4 prefix allows for the automatic next-hop change to the source PE loopback.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: