Views
Helpful
Replies

IP RAN / Mobile backhaul material

prima.ramadhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi fellow network engineer,

can anyone point me to materials on ip ran and mobile backhaul? I want to learn this stuff. However, what I got freely from google and the other free sources from the internet are merely marketing slide. Can anyone point me to cisco document/ebooks/slides that explain mobile backhaul thoroughly?

Thanks,

Prima

6 Replies 6

shivjain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Prima

IP ran is nothing but only the insertion of ip in radio network. IP ran is required in two cases

1. IP ran is added where in you have tdm connectivity from bts to bsc

2. Hybid BTS

The advantage of adding ip ran, helps operators to leverage the same access connectivity to transport any kind of traffic.

Challenges in IP Ran

1. Clock Sync is the biggest challenge in case of GSM networks and for CDMA clocking is not an issue as every BTS gets its clock from gps directly.

2. Handovers of calls from one bts to another.

3. Switchover less than 50 ms (by using bfd, ip frr or mpls-te frr we can overcome)

Please check the below links:-

1. http://www.cisco.com/web/IN/solutions/sp/mobile_internet/ipran_radio_access_networks.html

2. http://www.mplsvpn.info/2010/12/i-am-mulling-on-current-3g-network.html

regards

shivlu jain

Hi Shivlu,

Thanks for the answer. Actually I already know the basic of IP RAN, and the purpose of it. What I really want to know is the configuration guide that highlights the command line and examples of the implementation. I want to have some details on how it is configured. Also, regarding the clocking, I want to explore syncE and 1588, and see how they interact in the network.

Regards,

Prima

Hi Shivlu,

A very good simple explaination.

Well, talking about sync, don't know have to got any chance to review the much hyped SyncE technology many vendors are coming up with ?

Regards,

Smitesh

Thanks Sudhir, quite useful to refresh my knowledge regarding IP RAN.

Hi Sudhir,

When trying to enter the link, I'm getting a request for a WebEx meeting number. Could you please specify that number?

Thanks,

Lior