cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP VPN MPLS design requirements

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

I have not designed this before , I am looking to make a proposal for a manufacture company is looking to implement IP VPN over MPLS for his/her customers (30 clients) what are the recommended requirements (router, leased line, etc,,,,) for each client to have ?

Each customer site has got 10 users.

Customer right now accessing customer site through ADSL connection (Internet)

If we want to implement IP VPN MPLS , do we need to replace that ADSL connection with a leased line ? or still we can used ADSL connection ? or we have to have another connection aside from ADSL, (i.e. one connection is dedicated for IP VPN and the ADSL connection for accessing the internet )

If I am looking to use a Cisco router as Customer Edge router (CE router, because client right now does not have a Cisco router ) what type of router do I need ? what module should a router have ? , what type of ISO ?

Do I need to have any other devices beside a Cisco router ?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

On a overview note.

CE-

a) router cn be any router which can run any routing protocol or even static routing.

b) needs ip reachbility to the PE ( any type of media ADSL, leased circuit etc)

Having said that, it really depends on the customers requirements regarding network availability, scale etc. if the customer is currently using a low end router and its enough for his traffic with no performance impact you can keep using the existing router even though its not a Cisco router, as having a CE as Cisco router is not mandatory. Also if the customer wants more reliability and better granular QOS functions and other value adds then you can consider Cisco router.

Also if the customer is concerned about availability of the network, then you can recommend leased circuits, (this also depends on yout MPLS service provider as to what types of imcoming connections does he accept.)

I hope you can kind of develop this idea further just going by 2 things, availability and features. For which you will need to discuss with the customer as well as their propsective MPLS provider.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

On a overview note.

CE-

a) router cn be any router which can run any routing protocol or even static routing.

Having said that, it really depends on the customers requirements regarding network availability, scale etc. if the customer is currently using a low end router and its enough for his traffic with no performance impact you can keep using the existing router even though its not a Cisco router, as having a CE as Cisco router is not mandatory. Also if the customer wants more reliability and better granular QOS functions and other value adds then you can consider Cisco router.

Also if the customer is concerned about availability of the network, then you can recommend leased circuits, (this also depends on yout MPLS service provider as to what types of imcoming connections does he accept.)

I hope you can kind of develop this idea further just going by 2 things, availability and features. For which you will need to discuss with the customer as well as their propsective MPLS provider.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

On a overview note.

CE-

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

On a overview note.

CE-

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop