Views
Helpful
Replies

L2TPv3 over IP over MPLS/VPN

muthumohan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are migrating servers from on DC to new DC. To keep the IP addresses intact, we have planned to extend the VLANs between the two DCs during the server migration time. We have Layer 3 MPLS/VPN connectivity between the two DCs from MPLS service providers.

We are managing the CE devices, so we thought we can use L2TPv3 between our two CE devices to transport the Ethernet L2 frames. Logically, this seems to be a good solution, but I am concerned if there will be any issues with this setup. I see there will be some MTU issues, but I have gone thorugh it and do not seem to be hitting any issues.

Can anybody used this kind of setup. We have 3660 at one end and 2811 at the other end for terminating L2TPv3 tunnels.

I would appreciate any help and share experience.

Thanks in advance,

Mohan M

1 Reply 1

shivjain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

You can use l2tpv3, in that case even if you donot have mpls backbone because l2tpv3 is mainly for ip cloud. You can emulate point to point solution for the extension of layer 2 connectivity.

For overhead please refer to the below post

http://www.mplsvpn.info/2009/05/l2tpv3-transport-header-overhead-used.html

regards

Shivlu Jain    

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: