Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS design recommendation

asus zowey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

i have 2 ASR 9000 acting as P routers connected to PEs in different remote locations.

access switch ------ PE router 1 ------DSW switch -------ASR 9k (P router)--------PE router in remote locations

both PE 1 and ASR 9k are in the same location

the DSW Switch is connected to AAA server and also terminates the microwave connection that acts as a redundant link

my question is :

what would be the impact if i remove the DSW Switch and terminate the microwave redundant connection on the ASR9k ?

where can i connect the AAA server then ?

10 Replies 10

Hi Asuszowey,

You said DSW switch is connected to AAA, and Microwave link acts as a redundant link.

Can you please clarify that microwave link is acting as a redundant link for what connection, is it a redundant link to AAA server? 

BR

Thanveer

Acts as a redundant link to the link between the remote PE and the asr9000.

Hello Asuszowey,

Sorry for late responce, What i undererstood is you have a DSW switch up on which the Microwave is terminated. is this Microwave have any thing to do with DSW?

If you have nothing to do with DSW, then terminating the link on ASR 9k  must have no impact. 

If you think that I didn't understood you question please elaborate with a pictorial representation attached, I didn't want to misguide you

BR

Thanveer

what about the AAA? where would be the best place to connect it ? to the 9k ?

design

HQ (access switch --- pe router ---- distribution switch ( to be removed)----asr 9k p router)---- other pe routers

If you want to completly eleminate the DSW switch from your network then,

HQ(AAA-----access Switch---PE Router-----ASR9k(P Router)---Other PE Router

If you challenge is only terminating the link between PE to P directly and you still can put the DSW then

HQ(Access Switch-----DSW------ Router(PE)-------ASR 9k P Router----Other PE Router

|

|

AAA

Hope Answer to your question

BR

Thanveer

"Please Rate All Helpful Posts"

one last thing before rating the post

actually two things

1- i didn't build this network and i am trying to find the reason behind this switch. what would be the benefit of removing this switch ?

2- the actual topology consists of two ASR9Ks, each one is connected to a DSW. DSW1 and DSW2 are also connected to each other, i guess this is done for ASR9k redundancy. When i remove the switch, can  i maintain the same ASR9k redundancy by connecting the ASR9ks together by a bundle ?

You can Obviously acheive the redundancy by bundling them in to one.

You are also decreasing the no of point of failures by removing them from switch, but not removing the switch.

I actually have no idea of what your network looks like and what the administrator has configured, but there could be some purpose of doing so.

Thank you so much Thanveer.

I tried several times to rate your post but it seems there is something wrong

No worries dear.

Try using Google Chrome, it is so smooth and light weight.

any help ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: