Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS pseudowire Up on one side Down on the other

Clint Barret
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to setup another pseudowire between a 6509-E 12.2(17r)S4 and a 7201 12.4(12.2r)T. The 6509 says the vc is up:

Switch#show mpls l2transport vc

Local intf     Local circuit              Dest address    VC ID      Status

-------------  -------------------------- --------------- ---------- ----------

Gi4/1           Ethernet                   172.29.255.7    77         UP

But on the 7201 I'm getting:

Router#show mpls l2transport vc

Gi0/3          Ethernet                   172.29.255.10   77         DOWN

When I run show mpls l2transport vc detail it looks like:

Switch:

VC statistics:

transit packet totals: receive 0, send 35308

transit byte totals:   receive 0, send 2745983

transit packet drops:  receive 0, send 0

Router:

VC statistics:

packet totals: receive 35414, send 0

byte totals:   receive 2754295, send 0

packet drops:  receive 0, seq error 0, send 1421389

Weird that the switch is sending but not receiving and the router is receiving but not sending.

The topoligy is:

[6509-E] <-> [7201transit] <-> [7201]

The transit router has mpls ip enabled and has another functional pseudowire running across it.

Thanks in advance I'm pretty new to MPLS, please let me know if you need more information, I can post configs etc.

--Will

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can you post sh run from both devices?

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Along with running config, Please post "show mpls l2transport vc <> details" as well.

Thanks,

Nagendra

amol.mirase
Level 1
Level 1

pls provide the l2vpn configuration from both the devices.

there could be some issue with both side mtu or in encapsulation.

Hello,

Sorry for the delay and thank you all for your responses. I was able to fix the issue over the weekend. The problem was the branch router was receiving the route for the core switches loop back interface as a /16 not a /32, like it should be. I disabled auto summary in EIGRP and the branch router installed the router as /32. Right after that the VC came up. I do have another question though, not sure if I should start a new thread.

Is there any other way to terminate a pseudowire? Right now I have them terminating to physical interfaces on a 6509-E, then I have to patch the physical interfaces back into the switch and assign that port a VLAN. I would like to be able to terminate the pseudowire right to a VLAN but it looks like I can only do that to an SVI. Which wouldn't be a problem except I don't want those routes in the routing table, and the pseudowire doesn't come up without an IP on the SVI (or so it seems). I've looked at a lot of options like VRF/EoMPLS/L2VPN/IRB etc and this psuedowire setup seems to be the simplest but I'm not sure if it's the best. Any ideas? All I'm trying to do is get layer 2 adjacency from remote sites VM servers to our core VM servers.

Thanks again,

--Will

Hi Clint,

I would like to be able to terminate the pseudowire right to a VLAN but  it looks like I can only do that to an SVI. Which wouldn't be a problem  except I don't want those routes in the routing table, and the  pseudowire doesn't come up without an IP on the SVI (or so it seems)

That is not required. You can configure xconnect under SVI without any IP address assigned under the SVI interface. All you need is to have a /32 (from loopback addres) which is required for any mode (PFC/SVI/Port) based.

But with SVI based, the label imposition will be done on egress line card. So there is one requirement that the core facing should be SIP/ES/ES+ cards that is capable of doing label imposition.

Regards,

Nagendra

Hey Negandra,

Thank you for your response! How do I know if I have SIP/ES/ES+ cards?  The two types of cards I have in the chassis are:

48  SFM-capable 48 port 10/100/1000mb RJ45 WS-X6548-GE-TX

24  CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP

Are either of those capable?

--Will

*EDIT*

Also I have tried to terminate the pseudowire to a SVI on the 6509-E but I can't get it to come online.

CORE#show mpls l2transport vc

Gi4/3          Ethernet                   172.x.x.x    2          ADMIN DOWN

Gi3/46         Ethernet                   172.x.x.x    123        UP

Gi4/48         Ethernet                   172.x.x.x    1337       DOWN

Gi4/5          Ethernet                   172.x.x.x    4          ADMIN DOWN

Vl7            Eth VLAN 7                 172.x.x.x    7          DOWN

CORE#show run int vlan7

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 91 bytes

!

interface Vlan7

no ip address

xconnect 172.29.255.7 7 encapsulation mpls

end

If I configure the pseudowire on a physical interface on the switch it comes up, what am I missing? Hardware limitation?

Thanks in advance,

--Will