Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE load-balancing --- CEF Problem

Dears

Would like your assistance please regarding below issue

We are having 5 TE tunnels going to same destination and we are doing load-balancing between these 5 LSPs TE tunnels.

Command "mls ip cef load-sharing full simple" is configured so that CEF will use L4 ports in its algorithm

Problem that due to CEF behavior, 2 link are v.highly utilized and the other 3 utilization are below average

What I am thinking of but not sure If this will help or not is to have 2 TE tunnels instead of 5

1 TE tunnel load balancing on 3 links ( This can be done by using static route to tail loopback poiting to the 3 links) and another TE tunnel load balancing on the other 2 links

By doing this, I think CEF would be used 2 times; first to determine which TE tunnel to use then to determine which link within the tunnel

Will this help ?

For example

interface Tunnel1

ip unnumbered Loopback0

mpls ip

tunnel destination 10.0.0.1

tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng

tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 1 dynamic

tunnel mpls traffic-eng fast-reroute

!

ip route 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 link-1

ip route 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 link-2

ip route 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 link-3

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sherif,

traffic of a single TE tunnel will not be load balanced over multiple physical links as the TE tunnel is setup using a reservation and the path will use only one link for each router hop.

So moving to two TE tunnels is not an option for you.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe

Yes you are totally correct ... I forgot about this issue

Many Thanks for your assistance

chvp
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have the option of using LAGs (Portchannels)

- if so then your tunnel will select one link-group instead of another but you will have loadbalancing within you LAG group.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: