Replies

Pseudowire over MPLS-TE Tunnels

g.rodegari
Beginner
Beginner

Hi guys,

I'm tring to test interoperability between Cisco an Juniper Boxes about

pseudowire services.

Let assume that I've an MPLS backbone, where the label distribution protocol used is RSVP, then MPLS-TE tunnels, I do not want to enable LDP on my backbone.

Well, as far as I know, pseudowires requires LDP as control protocol... then:

from Juniper side I've enable a feature that they calling "LDP-Tunneling" in order to connect different LDP "islands" through my RSVP Backbone.

Is there a similar feature into IOS? what I've tested is to configure targeted LDP and MPLS-TE tunnels, but seems to do not work fine.

What is happening is that Juniper and Cisco established correctly the LDP targeted session, but discarding the FEC into the advertisement...

Any ideas? Have anyone already tested it before???

Any suggestions is more than appreciated,

Best Regards,

G.

21 Replies 21

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Graziano,

All you need on either side is the targeted LDP session.

The JunOS LDP tunneling feature is not needed in this scenario. It is equivalent to enabling LDP on a TE tunnel interface on the IOS side.

On the JunOS side, the targeted LDP session is enabled by the following set of commands:

protocols {

l2circuit {

neighbor x.x.x.x {

interface ge-0/1/0.0 {

virtual-circuit-id 100;

}

}

}

On the IOS side, the targeted LDP session is enabled by the xconnect command.

This type of scenario is common and should work just fine.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello,

thank you for your suggestion but actually I do not have LDP on my backbone and on the JunOS side I've to enable LDP tunneling, just to transport LDP into the RSVP backbone.

Forget for a second the pseudowire stuff... we have just to connect two LDP network through and RSVP backbone

The LDP tunneling features allow JunOS box to start targeted LDP session toward other boxes with, as source and transport address of this session his Loopback, without using WAN interfaces.

On the IOS side I've configured Tunnel TE interfaces and targeted LDP sessions as ususal... from juniper perspective the tunnel is RSVP and LDP do not needed... the targeted LDP session is established but FECs do not used...

There is a mismatch but I do not know where...

Thanks,

G.

Graziano,

I completely understand the fact that you do not need LDP in the network. LDP is just required between the two PEs in order to succesfully run l2vpn.

You absolutely do not need ldp-tunneling for that purpose.

The targeted LDP session started by ldp-tunneling on one side and running ldp on the tunnel interface on the other side will not help as l2vpn starts its own targeted LDP session.

For the FEC to be used you would need to have a route installed with the LSP or tunnel as the next-hop.

Again if you all you need to achieve is l2vpn between the Juniper and Cisco box, the config I proposed yesterday should be fine.

Let me knoe if you need a more detailed configuration example.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México