Views
Helpful
Replies

QinQ on a Cisco 1921 (IP BASE) ?

mcroft
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I would like to run QinQ between a Cisco 7606 and a Cisco 1921 IP Base Router.

I know the 7606 will support this feature, but not sure if IP Base image will on a 1921?

Hope someone can advise.

I tried the feature tool, but don't seem very clear to me.

Thanks

Matt 

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To be clear, you want the 1921 to be the dot1qtunel for you (like a service provider might provide), or you want to plug the 1921 into a QinQ circuit that a service provider has given you?

Perhaps you could explain you ultimate end goal and I'm sure I can figure out how to get you there.

Thank you for you help. Appreciate this.

My Scenario.

I have a customer Branch site that uses three vlans for Voice, Data and DIA.

Each vlan is transported over three separate links by the provider back to HQ.

However, commercial changes means we now only have ONE single link between the Branch and HQ, with just one single <service> vlan-id. It cannot be a dot1q trunk.

The challenge is:

• It cannot be a layer2 dot1q trunk between Branch and HQ.
  • The three Vlans at HQ are dropped into different VRFs. So I cannot simply use a routed vlan, as the VRFs are totally separate without configuring lots of import/export targets. Will be ugly.

I thought simplest idea would be QinQ. However, so far I have found out that the Branch office will need to be upgraded to Advance Services and the HQ switch (a 7606) will  not support dot1q tunneling on a SVI, so I would need to reconfigure the Original Trunk, as a Routed port with subinterfaces. Not the end of the world, but lots of Branch sites :(

Any help/comments really appreciated. Our Gold Partner, is unable to understand my problem, let alone help. Useless.

thanks again

Matt

Is this a managed level 2 service provider by a service provider between the 1921 and the 7606?

If so, have you asked them what they would charge for a QinQ circuit? In my country the price is usually the same.  You just pay for the layer 2 bandwidth.

Failing that, because of the huge change and setup costs, what would they charge to trunk the extra 3 VLANs?

You mention an SVI.  Can the service provider not presented it to you on a single trunk, QinQ'ed (so an outer tag for each branch say, and then the inner tag is the branch VLANs) and you just plug this into a layer 3 port? You would then reference it on the 7606 like:

int gig0/0/0.101
encapsulation dot1Q <Branch1 SP VLAN> second-dot1q <Voice VLAN>
ip vrf forwarding data
ip address ...
int gig0/0/0.102
encapsulation dot1Q <Branch1 SP VLAN> second-dot1q <Data VLAN>
ip vrf forwarding daa
ip address ...
int
gig0/0/0.103
encapsulation dot1Q <Branch1 SP VLAN> second-dot1q <DIA VLAN>
ip vrf forwarding DIA
ip address ...

int
gig0/0/0.201
encapsulation dot1Q <Branch2 SP VLAN> second-dot1q <Voice VLAN>
ip vrf forwarding voice
ip address ...
int
gig0/0/0.202
encapsulation dot1Q <Branch2 SP VLAN> second-dot1q <Data VLAN>
ip vrf fowarding data
ip address ...
int
gig0/0/0.203
encapsulation dot1Q <Branch2 SP VLAN> second-dot1q <DIA VLAN>
ip vrf forwarding dia
ip address ...

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Also "ip base" has almost nothing in it that is useful in this area.  You need an "AX" licence (used to be called "data").

The AX licence enables things like:

int gig0/0.10
encapsulation dot1Q <SP VLAN> second-dot1q <Client VLAN>

As well as L2TPv3, which can trunk all VLANs from one site to another site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: