Helpful
Replies

Route Reflector Peering

jay_7301
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

we have 2 networks

each network runs typical MPLS/IBGP and they have their own set of route reflectors (2 on each network)

We want to start exchanging routes between the networks and are hoping to achieve this by peering between the route reflectors. We are going to make them look like IBGP sessions using the local-as knob.

I guess the question is should they be clients of each other or just regular IBGP sessions?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

RR each one in different AS?

If yes why ibgp use ebgp instead 

jay_7301
Level 1
Level 1

i believe they will both have to be clients of each other all routes will not be advertised due to IBGP loop prevention 

If you use ibgp' Yes have to be each other client.

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @jay_7301 ,

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are trying to achieve. From what I can see, you have 2 MPLS network that you are trying to put together. This is normally done using one of the options described in RFC4364, section 10.

Is that what you want to achieve? If so, you could use option C, which consists of exchanging labels for PEs loopback interfaces between the two domains (AS) using BGP labeled unicast (BGP LU) and to set an eBGP session between the route reflectors in each AS to exchange the VPNv4/VPNv6 routes between the 2 domains. 

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4364#section-10

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600