cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSVP Configuration?

slandreth
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding RSVP configuration for TE. On all of my interfaces, I am not specifying an actual bandwidth for reservation, but instead using the "ip rsvp bandwidth" command alone.

Are there any issues one should be aware of when doing this in a TE environment?

The reason I ask is because every example and guide I have gotten my hands on has shown an actual bandwidth specification. I do not have any issues with tunnels coming up, but am more or less just curious about the operation of the command without a bandwidth specification.

Thanks,

shawn

3 Replies 3

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

If you use this command without the bandwidth argument, then it takes the interface bandwdith as the max allocable bandwidth for the flows.

If you specify bandwidht then thats the limit which is allocable for the flows on that interface.

this is specially useful when you do BW protection.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

What is the recommended configuration (best practice) for the bandwidth configuration on interface level and te tunnel level?

cheers,

michel

Michel

To add to what Swaroop posted above , the ip rsvp bandwidth command takes the following format

ip rsvp bandwidth   < max reservable bw per flow >

If you do not specify the max reservable bw , then by default , it is 75% of interface bw or 75% of the bandwidth specified by the  'bandwidth' command on the interface.

Whether or not you need to specify the max reservable bw depends on your requirement. If you are trying to build a TE tunnel that is requesting a certain amount of bw , then it may be necessary to specify this .

For example lets say you are trying to build a tunnel requesting 80mbps across a path that has 100mbps links . This tunnel wont come up if you leave the default max-bw reservation ( which is only 75 mbps in this case ) . So in this case you would need "ip rsvp bandwidth 100000 " on all the 100mbps interfaces for the tunnel to come up.

Hope this helps

Mayuresh