Views
Helpful
Replies

RSVP & LDP

m.gamal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i want to ask about configuring LDP or RSVP in MPLS network.

i know that RSVP is used for MPLS TE, as LDP doesn't support TE, but should i use LDP for normal MPLS labeling and labels to be assigned for each and every entry in routing table , and use RSVP in same time as using LDP just for MPLS TE .??

or if i use RSVP from the start and not configure LDP , will RSVP by default generate labels as LDP ..or if i use RSVP i have to configure and create LSP tunnels for every network manually or does this happen automatically as it goes with LDP ??

5 Replies 5

nchidamb
Level 1
Level 1

RSVP is primarily used for signalling & reserving the end-to-end bandwidth. In MPLS-TE environment one can either use CR-LDP (Constrained based Routed LDP) or RSVP to reserve the bandwidth / setup the tunnel. Cisco chose to use RSVP for various reasons.

Simply LDP, is used for labelling the packets that will traverse through the MPLS network. So, in your case if you setup a MPLS network it has to use LDP for exchanging labels ( or TDP if you have complete Cisco network ).

Does it answer your question?

-Nat

Hi Nat

yes to a great extent u answered my question, and to confirm with you i will state the following:

i will use LDP for normal MPLS labeling, and in case i will use MPLS TE , i shall use RSVP for signaling the TE tunnels.

right.??:)

Regards

Mohamed

Hi,

My understanding is that RSVP has been extended to support label distribution for MPLS. Does Cisco not support label distribution with RSVP as well as TE with RSVP? Therefore, couldn't RSVP be used for label distribution and TE, with no need for LDP?

Thanks

Ian

Yes, RSVP has the extension to support label distribution between RSVP peers. I have multiple devices running MPLS/RSVP without any LDP.

Are you sure, that with Cisco you can

distribute regular MPLS labels without

LDP/TDP (besides mBGP)?

As far as I know there is no way

to distribute the MPLS labels without

LDP/TDP between cisco devices.

And about MPLS TE, cisco chose to use

RSVP.