Views
Helpful
Replies

Seamless MPLS Problem

Joe Bee
Level 1
Level 1

Today I was studying the seamless MPLS approach from this page:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/multiprotocol-label-switching-mpls/mpls/116127-configure-technology-00.html

But there is a point where I really struggle.
See the picture below.

How can I separate the LDP path? I can activate the LDP with "mpls ip" which also starts LDP.
This automatically forms neighbours and brings up a complete LDP based labeled path. No separation.
Unfortunately the IP, MPLS and LDP settings are not part of the examples. Can somebody help?

116127-configure-technology-01

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Each domain (aggregation, core, aggregation) runs its own IGP and doesn't share LDP between each other. To do this, you do not enable LDP on the interface(s) between the different domains. You rather use BGP ipv4 label unicast to signal the LSP.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

In your scenario, you do not need to disable LDP on the edge router core interface. Just the fact of running a different IGP in the aggregation and core will disconnect these networks. This is where BGP label unicast provides the end to end glue.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Each domain (aggregation, core, aggregation) runs its own IGP and doesn't share LDP between each other. To do this, you do not enable LDP on the interface(s) between the different domains. You rather use BGP ipv4 label unicast to signal the LSP.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello Harold, thanks for your answer.
But we have this Edge Router from the picture above.
It has one interface to the left with LDP active, and one Interface to the right with LDP active.
How can I "disconnect" the LDP protocol on one physical router?

For the IGP this is simple. Just using different processes ore different IGPs, but how can this be achieved for LDP?
Hello Harold, thanks for your answer.
But we have this Edge Router from the picture obove. It has one interface to the left with LDP active and one Interface to the right with LDP active. How can I "disconnect" the LDP protocol on one physical router?

Fort the IGP this is simple by using diffrent processes ore diffrent IGPs, but how can this be achieved for LDP?

In your scenario, you do not need to disable LDP on the edge router core interface. Just the fact of running a different IGP in the aggregation and core will disconnect these networks. This is where BGP label unicast provides the end to end glue.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thank you Harold.

I think I got it now. Sometimes you didn't see the forest with all these trees in your way. ;)
In this example they redistribute just the loopbacks of RR1 in ospf2 and RR2 in ospf3.
LDP neighbor ship, even if it is established between RR1 and PE1, will not build up any labeled path for prefixes outside ospf 2
That's the trick. Aad then comes the Seamless MPLS to provide you with the full labeled path.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: