cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small ISP MPLS Core

roger perkin
Level 2
Level 2

What would be the smallest implementation of an MPLS core that would run a small ISP?

I am looking at transferring a client over from a bunch of P2P links into an MPLS core built up from a 3750 stack and a couple 2911 routers.

I was going to assing each customer to a separate vrf on each switchport and use the two routers as the MPLS core

Does anyone have any basic designs of a small MPLS core I could reference?

Thanks

Roger

2 Replies 2

jwbensley
Level 1
Level 1

You need to provide more details on the existing set up;

Why would you put every customer in a VRF?

"What would be the smallest implementation of an MPLS core that would run a small ISP?" - That is like saying, "how long is a peice of string?".

Be more specific - small ISP is between 1 and 500 devices I guess, how big exactly is this ISP? What are the requirements etc.

Hi,

OK I am learning the theory of MPLS and have setup in GNS3 an MPLS core with 6 routers and 2 customers with 2 sites each in separate VRF's so am comfortable with the technology.

What I am not sure on is the real world implementation of it.

The ISP currently has 8 customers 1 is 500 customers across 3 sites, others are 50 users in 2 sites and a few are single sites. All run P2P links into the data centre and aggregate on a 3560 switch, which then routes to an ASA for internet.

The client wants to run an MPLS core, and I am just trying to work out if this is overkill for the size of the company at the moment?

They want to spec it up for future growth, but only run a single site. My question is scaling the options up from simply implementing separate vrf's on the 3560 per customer (The reason so they can run the same address space?)

I just can't figure how you would implement a topology such as this

http://www.rogerperkin.co.uk/ccie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/mpls-vpn-configuration-example-roger-perkin.jpg

Into a single site data centre, would a topology like this span across multiple sites? Or would it all live in the same rack?

Would the PE's be 6500's and P routers be 3825's or better?

I just cannot find anything on the internet that covers a real world design of an MPLS core that actually covers hardware.

I understand this question is like how long is a piece of string, but taking the topology in the link above as an example what hardware would you use for this? And where geographically would the routers sit?

Many Thanks

Roger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: