cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

transport mirroring traffic from one site to a remote probe

pavlosd
Level 2
Level 2

We have this new project requirement to tranfer a mirror traffic from a Location A to Location B. At location A we have a switch 3750. At location B a probe is installed (similar to wireshark). The two locations are connected suing IP/MPLS network routers (7204, 7304).

I was looking through the Cisco site for any solution and I came only across ERSPAN but this is only supported on specific models.

I was wondering if somekind of an alternative exists, using IP/MPLS services, i.e. L2 Martini Circuit.

Any ideas? Regards.

2 Replies 2

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

pavlosd wrote:

We have this new project requirement to tranfer a mirror traffic from a Location A to Location B. At location A we have a switch 3750. At location B a probe is installed (similar to wireshark). The two locations are connected suing IP/MPLS network routers (7204, 7304).

I was looking through the Cisco site for any solution and I came only across ERSPAN but this is only supported on specific models.

I was wondering if somekind of an alternative exists, using IP/MPLS services, i.e. L2 Martini Circuit.

Any ideas? Regards.

I have seen customers carry SPAN traffic across point-to-point MPLS pseudowires. You can configure the required SPAN (monitor) session on 3750 and plug the SPAN destination port to the PE router which can in turn be configured to carry SPAN traffic via EOMPLS to the remote PE which will remove the MPLS encapsulation and send the SPAN data to the probe attached to it.

Atif

RSPAN is what we had in mind testing. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: