Replies

UMPLS to the Access Node

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Freinds

One of the UMPLS key is we able to extend MPLS (LSP) to the Access Network

My Question which confused me

in the Traditional  MPLS don't we have LSP up to Access (PE)  ,so where is he key Difference

thanks all

2 Replies 2

Adam Vitkovsky
Level 3
Level 3

The key difference is that where in “classical” MPLS you used to have:  

(“CE”)Mobile-Cell-router---L2-agg-SW--PE--MPLS--PE….

In Unified MPLS you’d have:

(“PE”)Mobile-Cell-router---P--ABR—H-MPLS--ABR….

In one to one comparison:

The mobile cell router is not a pure IP router anymore but it’s a small scale MPLS PE (ASR903/920/…)

The L2 aggregation switch is now an MPLS P router

The former PE is now Area Border Router and its role is stitching access MPLS areas into H-MPLS core in a “Hierarchical” fashion, so that the IGP/LDP on H-MPLS P routers doesn’t need to learn the loopbacks of all the 100,000s of (“PE”)Mobile-Cell-routers and P routers from all these access areas –as the IP reachability and label information for nodes in these IGP areas that are separated from H-MPLS core IGP is now carried in BGP-LU and only between ABRs creating this scalable MPLS hierarchy.

This hierarchical MPLS is a very old concept used for ages In Inter-AS MPLS VPNs option C deployments –that was somewhat shoehorned into single-AS or even single IGP(multi-area/level) deployments.

And solving problems with yet another layer of indirection is an ancient concept :)

adam    

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::

adam

Hello bro Adam

Thanks for ur reply , thanks also for the nice explanation , you earned my 5 pts :)

bro , do u have the initial config of the below Cisco DOC , if no pls guide me how can u get it

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/multiprotocol-label-switching-mpls/mpls/118846-config-mpls-00.html

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: