Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Hub-and-Spoke VPNs

rsharma1818
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am working for a Tier-1 service provider who is planning to migrate their existing transport network to a seamless MPLS architecture using BGP-LU

However, they are concerned that their routers in access layer will be overloaded with too many VPN routes. Hence, they have asked the network planning teams to consider implementing RFC 7024 (Virtual Hub-and-Spoke MPLS VPNs) and our team is supposed to give them a demo

From what I have understood after reading the RFC is that its all about playing with the route-targets and policies so that the default route is advertised only towards the access layer whereas the eNodeB routes are advertised towards the Core.

Taking the example of access router A1, I have assigned the RT values as shown in the figure below

Capture.JPG

Questions -

1. Is the RT value assignment correct ?

2. Since the access/agg/core layers are in the same autonomous system but in different IGP domains, I need to use BGP-LU to achieve inter-domain reachability between router loopbacks.
My question is: Does the BGP-LU LSP extend from access to the Core or from Agg router to the Core ?

As of now, I need help with the above two queries. As the picture becomes more clear, I may have some additional questions.

Thanks in advance,

Rahul

0 Replies 0