Views
Helpful
Replies

VPNv4 aggregate address

waveworks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to reduce the routing table to our PE's which are currently 3750ME's. The 3750ME's only come with 128MB of DRAM so I am keen to reduce the size of the routing table amongst other things. Is there an equivalent to the aggregate-address ipv4 address family (within bgp) command for vpnv4 routes? Essentially I would like to filter, summarise or add default routes facing the PE's where possible. Being able to perform this level of granularity per vrf instance would be ideal.

I had read somewhere that vpn4 automatically summarises between P's and PE's but I wasn't 100% confident on the source of this information.

1 Reply 1

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

there's no auto summarization, in fact your P routers shouldn't be running BGP and they shouldn't see any VPNv4 prefixes. There's no aggregate-address command under "address-family vpnv4", you put it under "address-family ipv4 vrf x". In other words, you summarize routes coming in from CE's in a VRF. Use "summary-only" keyword. It will result only in a summary vpnv4 route sent to other PE's