cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF without physical interfaces?

mbellears
Level 1
Level 1

We are the backend Internet Feed for our DSL clients - We do not perform any session control (Wholesale DSL provider authenticates our clients, assigns them one of our IP's and gives our core Router as Def. GW)

Historically we have created client VPN networks on CPE's - Is it possible to push this responsiblility on to our 7206 somehow?(Via VRF? - Given that the clients DSL connections are not physical interfaces on our router, I don't think so?)

Regards,

MB

2 Replies 2

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

I don't think what you are asking is possible, since you mentioned someone else is terminating the session. In order for you to be able to put the connection into a vrf, the session would need to be terminated on the 7206 itself (I'm assuming that the 7206 is your GW router).

kschafer
Level 1
Level 1

If you put a Cisco CPE device at the DSL customers end you could create GRE tunnels and place the endpoints into VRF's on the 7206.

I've done this and it works. Basically you host-route the tunnel endpoint out the DSL line, then change the default route on the CPE to point to the IP address you assign to the tunnel end on the 7200.

= K