cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which is more appropriate for ISPs, VPLS or AToM?

9813108aa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !

I want to know whether to provide l2vpn services in the ISP's topology architecture, should I use VPLS better or AToM ?

There will be many customers in the ISP architecture, I consider using MPLS traffic engineering, so what solutions can provide MPLS traffic engineering and l2vpn, which can simplify network settings and facilitate maintenance

Any reply will be very helpful to me, thanks

Vincent

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanjeewa Alahakone
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vincent

Any Transfer over MPLS (AToM) was early technology evolution circa 2000, which addressed Ethernet/ATM/FR/HDLC/PPP over MPLS and interworking between some of the technologies, we don't see ATM and FR anymore and E1/T1 or E3/T3 (serial) cross-connects too are limited to low-speed router architectures.

What you will see in the market today is mostly the Ethernet cross-connects, AKA pseudo-wires, now these can be point-to-point or multi-point, VPLS is one of the MP technology.

There are many forms of VPLS, LDP signaled VPLS, BGP Signaled VPLS and  sometimes interconnecting these technologies  

I would recommend you to study EVPN (the latest standards on how to transport ethernet over mpls), also Segment Routing and traffic engineering after you study the RSVP TE which will make you to appreciate the simplicity

Visit ciscolive.com and search on  these keywords, all the best !!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Both solves same problem in different way, where you want to use and costing is important.

Both IPVPN and VPLS have particular strengths and weaknesses that have made them suited to different types of networks, businesses and business problems. However, VPLS does have some differentiators to add value to enterprise IT departments.

VPLS gives you complete control of your routing, and can carry your VLANs. The service provider does not have to be involved in the routing - it’s completely in the hands of the enterprise to make changes as and when they require them.

Personally this is goingn to be big investment, if you are not sure, i woiuld suggest get a cisco SE or Consultant to desing for you. once it deployed its hard to get change because of downtimes ( you can not expect these links go down everytime customer requirment changes).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello BB!

I have some problem that you said VPLS can control routing but If choose AToM is same for control routing , right ?

That is why I want to know that VPLS and AToM different ?

Vincent

Personally prefer VPLS

( as i said it depends on business need and costing).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Sanjeewa Alahakone
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vincent

Any Transfer over MPLS (AToM) was early technology evolution circa 2000, which addressed Ethernet/ATM/FR/HDLC/PPP over MPLS and interworking between some of the technologies, we don't see ATM and FR anymore and E1/T1 or E3/T3 (serial) cross-connects too are limited to low-speed router architectures.

What you will see in the market today is mostly the Ethernet cross-connects, AKA pseudo-wires, now these can be point-to-point or multi-point, VPLS is one of the MP technology.

There are many forms of VPLS, LDP signaled VPLS, BGP Signaled VPLS and  sometimes interconnecting these technologies  

I would recommend you to study EVPN (the latest standards on how to transport ethernet over mpls), also Segment Routing and traffic engineering after you study the RSVP TE which will make you to appreciate the simplicity

Visit ciscolive.com and search on  these keywords, all the best !!

Hello !

Thank your suggestion ! I will try it .. Although I don`t know if RSVP TE can work in EVPN :)