cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x and TACACS+

MITCH JOHNSON
Level 1
Level 1

I use the ACS box mainly for AAA on the switches and routers using tacacs. Now we're looking at the possibility of using 802.1x, my early reading tell me I have to use RADIUS, but I'm using TACACS, can I have ttow different methods of authentication on the same switch/router?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Yes you can. You specify which interfaces use which protocol in what order.

jafrazie
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you have to run RADIUS for 1X, but you can enable both just fine.

Is there an example config where both are shown? Each time I add a radius command it erases a radius command, but then I am doing the defaults and nothing specific.

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean, but here's an example with 2 servers:

aaa group server tacacs+ mgmt_access

server 10.10.10.2

server 10.10.10.3

aaa group server radius dot1x_access

server 10.10.10.2

server 10.10.10.3

aaa authentication login VTY group mgmt_access enable

aaa authentication dot1x DOT1X group dot1x_access

pbunet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Yes you can have different authentication methods on the same router/switch .

In case if you need to configure 802.1x you can simply add the 802.1x commands as they will not interfare in the working of your tacacs authentication .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801f0a44.html

If you want to configure radius for login authentication along with exsisting Tacacs then you need to configure method list .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca7a8.html#wp1000906

Regards,

Puneet

Hi Puneet,

I'm also stuck with the same problem. I understand that a Router/Switch could be configured to use both the protocols get authenticated, however I don't see if the same is possible with any of the ACS Servers?

Or in other words, if I have to use the dot1x and the TACACS for enable purposes, I have to use 2 differnt ACS Servers, one with RADIUS and second with the TACACS+ protocol.

Plesae correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

You do have to have two entries in the ACS box. So here's how I did it, I named one entry switch1 and the other entry switch1-radius. On the switch1 I selected tacacs on the switch1-radius I selected RADIUS (CISCO IOS PIX).

Restarted the service and it didn't complain a bit and it works fine.

Wow.. such a simple thing never clicked in my brain.. Thanks a lot!!!