Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access rights in ISE

Hi,

I have a two node ISE deployment, version 3.0 Patch 4.

I have a requirement where a team needs to have Identity Admin access and read only for all other components.

I have been trying to add a user to the Identity Admin group plus System Admin Menu Access in the hope that they can continue to do the Identity Admin function and see everything else (read-only, for troubleshooting) but it gives the user Full Access.

Is this possible to do in ISE.

Thanks

Anthony.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Marcelo Morais 

I don't think this bug is applicable to my issue.

I have an issue where if I have given a user super admin menu access with identity admin data access, the user can see everything and edit everything.

If I make a copy of super admin data access and only select the same data access as Identity admin, the user can still edit everything. 

Maybe I have read it wrong or don't understand.

As far as I can see, the user will have two accounts: Identity Admin to do his job and a Read Only a/c to do his troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

You can do this. Best is to prepare your own Access-Permission as needed and use them in a new RBAC policy.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe you need to do some tweaking to achieve this and testing: below document can help you :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/200891-Understanding-Admin-Access-and-RBAC-Poli.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have been trying to add a user to the Identity Admin group plus System Admin Menu Access in the hope that they can continue to do the Identity Admin function and see everything else (read-only, for troubleshooting) but it gives the user Full Access.

-Your best bet is to create duplicates of the default menu/data access types then tweak the copied policies to meet your need and tie the two together.  This may better fit your desire and is something you will have to test.

Hi @Mike.Cifelli @balaji.bandi @Karsten Iwen 

I really don't think this is possible. 

I tried the following:

1. Super Admin Menu access with Identity Admin Data, the result is I can edit everything.

2. Copied Identity Admin Data, called it Test and changed Data Access Privileges for Admin and Network Device Groups to Read Only,  the result is I can edit everything.

My test was to see if I could update any Policy Sets, I should only be able to read them.

Hi @Anthony O'Reilly ,

it's a BUG !!! : )

Note: please take a look at CSCvw90961 RBAC rules not enforced in 2.7 and CSCvb55884 ISE RBAC Network Device Type/Location View not working. for similar references.

Hope this helps !!!

Hi @Marcelo Morais 

I don't think this bug is applicable to my issue.

I have an issue where if I have given a user super admin menu access with identity admin data access, the user can see everything and edit everything.

If I make a copy of super admin data access and only select the same data access as Identity admin, the user can still edit everything. 

Maybe I have read it wrong or don't understand.

As far as I can see, the user will have two accounts: Identity Admin to do his job and a Read Only a/c to do his troubleshooting.

Anthony O'Reilly is correct. See CSCvm01451

Hi @hslai 

Yes, this does look like a bug that explains my issue.

My solution is to have a user_ro account and a user_identity account for the customer.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, much appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like you want SuperAdmin Menu Access (read everything) but Identity Admin Data Access (only change identities). OK.

Navigate to Administration > System > Admin Access > Administrators > Admin Groups and create a new Admin Group "Identity_Admin_with_ReadOnly"

image.png

Navigate to Administration > System > Admin Access > Administrators > Admin Users and create a new Admin Users "Identity_admin_ro" in the "Identity_Admin_with_ReadOnly" group :

image.png

Navigate to Administration > System > Admin Access > Authorization > RBAC Policy

and use Actions > Insert a New Policy to add your SuperAdmin menus with Identity Admin Data:

image.png

Don't forget to Save.

Logout and login as identityadmin_ro

Go add a new Identity (Network Access User):

image.png

Then try to change anything else like adding a Network Device and it should be DISABLED (+Add is disabled and cannot be changed):

image.png

Hi @thomas 

Thanks for your details response with screen shot, I was doing exactly as you stated and the result is full-access for the user.

I did exactly as you said with the same naming conventions and I can edit policies. I only want the user to have read-only to all.

Thanks

Anthony.

Hello Anthony,

Did you find a solution?

T&R

Arjun

Hi,

It is not possiuble to do under one account due to the read-only setup within ISE.

I had to create two account, one with read-only and the other one with Identity Admin.

Thanks

Anthony.