Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.1: "acs backup" vs. "backup"

rob.schieron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

From the ACS 5.1 CLI (5.1.0.44.4 to be exact)....

Can someone please explain the difference between "acs backup" and normal "backup"? (other than one backing up the ADE-OS data?)

The ACS command reference does not explain the difference clearly.

There are corresponding "acs restore" and "restore" commands too.  I have tested both, however I've noticed the web interface actually schedules a "acs backup" using the kron command.

Which should we be using for a critical production system?  Is one more reliable than another?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

5 Replies 5

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ACS backup is the backup function of ACS, so if you want to backup your ACS that is what you should be using.

The backup command seems to be from the ADE-OS and would then be common, regardless of application present on the appliance. I never tried to check if it was safely backuping acs though ...

But for sure the supported backup way is the "acs backup" command.

Nicolas.

That makes sense, although the ACS 5.1 documention does say backup (not "acs backup"):

"Performs a backup of ACS and ADE OS data and places the backup in a repository".

"Backup" also backs up the acs view database, as well as all ade-os settings like ip addresses, cli users, etc.

Ideally, I'd like a way to backup the ACS View Database, the ACS Application and the ADE-OS configuration all separately.

Anyone know of a way to back up ADE-OS on it's own?

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

There is no separate backups for this, the ADE-OS backup backs up everything, ADE-OS, ACS, and View.  The ACS backup backs up ACS and View and the View backup only backs up View.

Here is the command reference for acs-backup: (there are no options with this command)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.1/command/reference/cli_app_a.html#wp1619077

The same goes for the ADE-OS backup:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.1/command/reference/cli_app_a.html#wp1027894

--Jesse

jrabinow
Level 7
Level 7

Took me a while to get the time to respond here.....

acs backup performs a backup of the ACS data so that when need to recover a machine the following process can be perforned:

- reimage the box

- restore the ACS data

This ensures the minimum data size is saved to recover the box

acs backup saves the following data:

- ADE-OS configuration data (all node types)

- certificate private key

- ACS configration data (if node is primary)

- M&T data (if node is M&T node)

If there is a single standalone ACS node performing all functions, data of all types will be saved

I am less familiar with the  "backup" command but I think is application agnostic and will just perform a full backup of the box

Note that additional backup related options are available from the GUI

- From the deployment operations there is option to backup. On primary operations are "ACS Configuration Backup" or " ADE-OS and ACS Configuration Backup". On secondary instance only option is ADE-OS configuration data.

There are also options to backup M&T data from the GUI. See: "Monitoring Configuration > ... > System Operations > Data Management > Removal and Backup". Due to the large volumes of data involved there is also an option to use an Incremental backup mechanism (this option is not available from the CLI)

Just a quick note here

In case an ACS server crashes completly (cannot boot any more, OS problem) you do need to re-install the OS and application, from the Cisco recovery DVD. Then you still have to enter the basic networking info and the licenses. Peering the secondary to the primary will then re-populate the database.

I guess that if your application only fails, then you can use the recovery file, from the CLI.

Christophe