Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.5 Backup / Restore

learnsec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I newly installed acs v5.3 and i would like to configure the Backup process to maintain my configuration. I mainly found three ways to configure a scheduled backup:

1) using cli

2) using System Administrator/ Operations / Scheduled Backup (considering that we already created a repository for the backup)

3) using Monitoring and reports / Launching monitoring & reports / Monitoring Configuration / Data Management / Removal and Backup

On the other side, if we look for Restoring configuration, we found two options:

1) using cli

2) using Monitoring and reports / Launching monitoring & reports / Monitoring Configuration / Data Management / Restore (a starnge point here is that although i used option 2 above for backup, i cannot find any available files for restore in this option. normally it should list the backup files presented within the backup repository)

considering that i dont want to use the CLI option for backup neither for restore, can you please advise what is the trusted and safest manner to do a scheduled backup and what is the exact procedure to make a restore. the available documentation is not very clear and no examples to better understand this case.

Thanks and regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1) Removal and backup use for operational backup. That is your logging of ACS not configuration.

2) Restore option is to restore operational backup. Again it's not configuration.

However, In order to restore configuration backup, information shared in previous thread was correct.

restore of backups using "acs restore...", "restore..."

Hope it answers your queries.

Regards

Gagan

PS: rate if it helps!!!!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gagandeep Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The scheduled backup only backup the ACS configuration data, so the command equivalent is "acs backup....", "backup ..." backs up both the cli (ADE-OS) and the acs configuraiton.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5-3/user/guide/acsuserguide/admin_operations.html#pgfId-1076238

The same thing goes for restore of backups using "acs restore...", "restore..."

However, in order to check for status : "show backup/restore history".

Also I would request to upgrade this ACS version to latest or atleast 5.6 VERSION.

It's going to EOL and EOS soon. Also not a stable version.

Regards

Gagan

Thank you for your reply, but can you please explain more the following:

1) what is the role of the below backup link and when i should use it:

Monitoring and reports / Launching monitoring & reports / Monitoring Configuration / Data Management / Removal and Backup

2) what is the role of the below restore link and when i should use it:

using Monitoring and reports / Launching monitoring & reports / Monitoring Configuration / Data Management / Restore (a starnge point here is that although i used option 2 above for backup, i cannot find any available files for restore in this option. normally it should list the backup files presented within the backup repository)

i need a clear restore procedure to do a restore test.

thanks and regards,

1) Removal and backup use for operational backup. That is your logging of ACS not configuration.

2) Restore option is to restore operational backup. Again it's not configuration.

However, In order to restore configuration backup, information shared in previous thread was correct.

restore of backups using "acs restore...", "restore..."

Hope it answers your queries.

Regards

Gagan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: