Views
Helpful
Replies

asa or cat switch login retry lock

ronald.su
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I wanna know if there have any way to prevent a brute login attack. e.g. if a user or IP login 5 times failure, ASA or cat switch will lock the use or IP for 30 minutes.

how to config ?

PS:

on ASA currently, we use: aaa local authentication attempts max-fail 5

this need manual to unlock the user which is not meet our requirement. we wanna the user or IP will auto unlock after a period.

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I don't believe there is a way to do similar on the ASA.

View solution in original post

No I don't think you can do that per user basis, however, what you can do in this case as a workaround would be to define an ACL and apply it to the device to exempt the blocking to the IP/subnet defined in it, kinda a backdoor access in addition to the console port. By doing that, during the blocking period, the device will still allow accesses from that IP/subnet defined in the ACL. Here is an example:

access-list 150 permit tcp 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.255 any eq 22

login quiet-mode access-class 150

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ronald.su
Level 1
Level 1

we know the switch  command:
SW3850(config)#login block-for 120 attempts 5 within 120

now, just need the ASA command

I don't believe there is a way to do similar on the ASA.

I tried login block-for 1800 attempts 5 within 300 on my switch

it seemd will locked whole device login, so that will making dos attack. 

if there has a way can only lock the user or IP ?

thanks

No I don't think you can do that per user basis, however, what you can do in this case as a workaround would be to define an ACL and apply it to the device to exempt the blocking to the IP/subnet defined in it, kinda a backdoor access in addition to the console port. By doing that, during the blocking period, the device will still allow accesses from that IP/subnet defined in the ACL. Here is an example:

access-list 150 permit tcp 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.255 any eq 22

login quiet-mode access-class 150

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at some recomendation for Preventing Network Attacks - , is this works for you ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/conf_gd/protect.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: