Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I used a Wild Card Certificate for ISE 2.2

yasirirfan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I am in the process of deploying ISE 2.2 waiting for the hardware delivery. I am thinking of using the Wild Card certificate from Digicert issues to my organisation. Can I use the same certificates or do I need to ask my System team to build an internal CA server?

One advantage I could see to use internal CA servers is the validity of the certificate can be for 10 years where as if I go with a wild card certificate I will be restricted to the validity of the certificate.

I just want to know what would be the best approach when it come certificates for ISE.

Cheers

Yasir

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If not already done, take a look at  How To: Implement ISE Server-Side Certificates and other articles on Certificates / Private Key Infrastructure (PKI)

You should be able to do either or a mix of the two, but it's down to what ISE services you would deploy and what your use base like. For example, it would work great to use wild-card certificates for ISE guest services, as your visitors' devices would probably get prompted to accept certificates as they unlikely already trust your enterprise CA.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If not already done, take a look at  How To: Implement ISE Server-Side Certificates and other articles on Certificates / Private Key Infrastructure (PKI)

You should be able to do either or a mix of the two, but it's down to what ISE services you would deploy and what your use base like. For example, it would work great to use wild-card certificates for ISE guest services, as your visitors' devices would probably get prompted to accept certificates as they unlikely already trust your enterprise CA.