Views
Helpful
Replies

Captive portal user session information

KumarMr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I recently deployed a Captive portal using Cisco Aironet 1830 series 3 Mobility Express. This deployment uses an external captive portal and an external Radius server for AAA things. There was enough documentation for the setup and for implementing the external captive portal user flow, so deployment went very well.

Having said that there is a specific requirement for which we would need to show the users their own session information like username, session id, session duration left, bandwidth, etc. The idea is that any Guest connected to the WiFi can go to a URL and see their session details.

I have checked the documentation, and there does not seem to be anything that helps in this regard. I am very new to Cisco devices and most probably was not looking at the right place.

Any pointers or guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kumar Mrinal

4 Replies 4

Where does your external captive portal live today?  On ISE?

KumarMr
Level 1
Level 1

Not on ISE. It is a custom code deployed on an AWS server.

So that report would be something that the custom code on the AWS server would be responsible for.  It can use Accounting from Mobility Express to track access times, etc. and send CoA or session timeout when the user should expire.  

KumarMr
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, AAA does track all of that, including session termination. This session tracking is between Cisco controller and the AAA, however, we want to get the session info on the wifi user's side.

Wondering if there is an end-point exposed by the Cisco controller which can be called from the guest device to get session info. Even if we can get session-id only, I am can manage by querying the AAA DB directly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: