Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE 2.3 Install Patch 5 distributed deployment

Johannes2110
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

i've read through this document

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-3/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_23/b_ise_admin_guide_23_chapter_0100.html#ID265

but did not state 

I have cisco ISE 2.3 distributed deployment 4 nodes, and I planning to update the patch, right now the condition is my ISE wasn't patch before, still the base version of Cisco ISE 2.3.

can I jump directly install into the patch 5 without install the 1 - 4 patches? and what happen if I just install the patch into some of the ISE nodes 2 nodes first and the other 2 nodes still using the base version in the distributed deployment?

there some document or link or answer for this case?

Thank you all

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-3/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_23/b_ise_admin_guide_23_chapter_0100.html#ID265

Cisco ISE Software Patches

Cisco ISE software patches are usually cumulative. Cisco ISE allows you to perform patch installation and rollback from CLI or GUI.

View solution in original post

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I'll add to what Jason posted. If you want to patch 2 nodes + validate, then complete patching the other two nodes, you should patch from the CLI. If you patch from the GUI it will run through all four nodes sequentially, you don't have much control over the process.

ISE CLI command for reference
patch install ise-patchbundle-2.3.0.298-Patch5-18082702.SPA.x86_64.tar.gz <repository-name-that-holds-patch file>

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco ISE Software Patches

Cisco ISE software patches are usually cumulative. Cisco ISE allows you to perform patch installation and rollback from CLI or GUI.

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I'll add to what Jason posted. If you want to patch 2 nodes + validate, then complete patching the other two nodes, you should patch from the CLI. If you patch from the GUI it will run through all four nodes sequentially, you don't have much control over the process.

ISE CLI command for reference
patch install ise-patchbundle-2.3.0.298-Patch5-18082702.SPA.x86_64.tar.gz <repository-name-that-holds-patch file>

so I can directly jump install to the latest patch (patch 5) without install the patch version  (1-4) before? And it is okay to install the patch for only two nodes first and the other 2 nodes still in base version? it wouldn't take effect to the ISE if they have different version?

thank you

There will be no issue going straight to Patch 5. No one will recommend you run mixed patches for an extended period but it will work while validating. Removing a patch takes very little time, baring any catastrophic node failures during install, if you run in to a production impacting issue then you can easily roll back the patches, nodes have to reload during patch install/removal.