Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE 2.7 Smart Licensing Authorization Renewal Failure

SaintEvn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm deploying ISE 2.7 using smart Licensing and I've got an Alarm "Smart Licensing Authorization Renewal Failure".

Smart Licensing is also successful and in compliance state but I've no idea why I’m still getting those alarms.

Anyone know how to fix the problem??

Can I change smart licensing back to traditional licensing ?

In my case ISE license come with smart licensing by default.

Thank you so much

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SaintEvn 

in Administration > System > Licensing try to:

1. update the Smart Licensing Registration ... clicking the Update button

2. deregister and register the Smart Licensing (you will need the Registration Token for that)

Note: pay attention to your Smart Licensing Registration - Connection Method (Direct HTTPS, HTTPS Proxy or Transport Gateway).

Hope this helps !!!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi @SaintEvn 

in Administration > System > Licensing try to:

1. update the Smart Licensing Registration ... clicking the Update button

2. deregister and register the Smart Licensing (you will need the Registration Token for that)

Note: pay attention to your Smart Licensing Registration - Connection Method (Direct HTTPS, HTTPS Proxy or Transport Gateway).

Hope this helps !!!

SaintEvn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

After deregistering ISE, when I try to register again , it kept failing .

Only after I disabled smart licensing , reboot the ISE and then enable smart licensing again , put the token and now all the license are in compliance state.

Thank you so much for your help!

@SaintEvnhas something changed from 30. January 2021 ? Is it still stable on 2.7 ?

I ask, becuase I see same behavior on version 3.0.

Do you have standalone server or more ise nodes ? If more than one, those steps what you have discribed are intended just for PAN, am I right ?

edonaghy1
Level 1
Level 1

I experienced  this problem with ISE 2.7. I have since upgraded to ISE 3.1 and still have the problem. I have gone through the Registration steps specified earlier and my 6 node deployment is in compliance for all relevant licenses.....I use Direct HTTPS.....but I still encounter the following error randomly: Smart Licensing Authorization Renewal Failure: Details=Communication send error..

I have sympathy for software developers - it's not an easy job - but surely with enough testing and customer feedback, we should not be seeing these errors. There are developers in this world who write code to help rockets go to the moon. The potential exists.

On a positive note - I installed a fresh ISE 3.1 the other day and customer is using on-prem CSSM.  What a pleasure. Not a single error in ISE. It's the first time in history that I have had a good experience with this solution. I hope it's a sign of stability. Until someone breaks something in the code that "used to work".  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: