cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE 3.0 as a NAC/NIC level settings.

Team,

We have been doing a PoC on the Cisco ISE as a NAC.

Our use case was identifying if the laptop is a corporate owned laptop and if yes allow it the default full access VLAN. If not, give it guest VLAN with limited access.

This has been achieve but the catch here is setting on the NIC card adapters had to be done additionally.

Is there any way we can achieve the same end goal without touching anything on the end users laptop, specifically in the NIC level?

What other mode of testing have you people done and implemented this?

Regards,

N!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Easy Connect or Passive Identity features can provide what you would like.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-easy-connect/ta-p/3638861

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there any way we can achieve the same end goal without touching anything on the end users laptop, specifically in the NIC level?

-I am not sure I follow what you mean.  Can you elaborate so the community can better assist you? Do you mean supplicant configuration on the clients? NIC IPv4 config?  You should not have to reconfigure the NIC when performing posturing or just simple onboarding.

Hello Mike,

Sorry for responding late. The below setting is what we needed to make on the NIC adapter:

So what I meant was other than doing this there is no way we can do NAC. (This is not an issue for us but was trying to look at alternatives)

NIC.jpg

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are 3 components in a network access control solution:

1) endpoint : the client wanting network access. for 802.1X, it must authenticate using a "supplicant" which is a fancy word for client software which can either be part of the native OS or a separate software like AnyConnect NAM.

2) network device : acts as the authenticator of the endpoint with the 802.1X protocol (wired and wireless) and enforces network access policy from the authentication server

3) authentication server : this is ISE which both authenticates and authorizes the endpoint, assuming it has an 802.1X supplicant and it is configured properly.

Configuration of the 802.1X supplicants for corporate devices at scale should be done via Windows Active Directory Group Policy Objects (GPOs) or Mobile Device Management (MDM) software.

Hello,

thanks for the response.

Yes, agreed. I was just checking if there are alternate methods. e.g. on reading we found that for MAC books we can do a Jamf integration.

Anything similar for windows?

What I want to check if we can avid is the NIC level setting on every laptop. (no doubt they can be rolled out using AD)

The same picture I have pasted in the above post:

NIC.jpg

Q: Anything similar for windows?

A: If the computers are joined to the domain, the best way to push this configuration is via Group Policy. This is how 100% of the large enterprise customers I've worked with have deployed 802.1x on their fleet.

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Easy Connect or Passive Identity features can provide what you would like.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-easy-connect/ta-p/3638861