Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE profiler feed and 28 bit MAC OUI's

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Hi
I'm trying to profile a Summa vinyl cutter on ISE 3.2 patch 3. ISE profiler feed is up to date and the device is listed with the following MAC OUI

OUI IEEE Registration Authority

When I looked up the MAC Address on the IEEE site, the first 6 characters of the mac "98-06-37" (24-bit block size) is indeed registered to IEEE Registration Authority

I found the following information elsewhere that shows "98-06-37-2" (28-bit block size rather than 24) is registered to Summa:

Company: Summa nv
Range: 98:06:37:20:00:00 - 98:06:37:2F:FF:FF
Type: IEEE MA-M
where:
MA-M: IEEE MAC Address Medium (28-bit block size)

Will the Cisco ISE profiler feed eventually update to include this 28 bit MAC OUI? I'm using the profiler condition below successfully to profile Summa MAC OUI in the meantime.

Thanks
Andy

Profiler Condition for Summa OUI
Type: MAC
Attribute Name: MACAddress
Operator: STARTSWITH
Attribute Value: 98:06:37:2

2 Replies 2

davidgfriedman
Level 1
Level 1

I checked that prefix's registration with IEEE (see https://standards-oui.ieee.org/ ) and 98-06-37 isn't properly registered with a company name:

98-06-37   (hex)		IEEE Registration Authority
980637     (base 16)		IEEE Registration Authority
				445 Hoes Lane
				Piscataway  NJ  08554
				US

So unless that company, Summa, fixes their registration, then you'll never get a "Summa" device type.  Unless I'm wrong and the above IEEE entry means it is reserved and being assigned soon, in which cases ISE should pick it up in a week or two and push it out to us (customers using the feed).

Regards,
David

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Thanks for the reply

I can find the "Summa" entry ok while searching the MAC Address Block Medium (MA-M) registry on the IEEE site below:

https://regauth.standards.ieee.org/standards-ra-web/pub/view.html#registries

ISE seems to only include MAC Address Block Large (MA-L) - MAC OUI. The above site notes the following for MAC Address Block Medium (MA-M)

Your attention is called to the fact that the firms and numbers listed may not always be obvious in product implementation. Some manufacturers subcontract component manufacture and others include registered firms' MAC Address Block Medium (MA-M) in their products.

What I have in place works fine for me at the moment.

Cheers
Andy