cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Combo Upgrade Path ISE Plus -> Apex. ISE 2.x -> 3.0

gcostanz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If i have a customer with ISE 2.x Base and Plus - and they intend to upgrade to 3.0 ANDthey intend to upgrade to Apex do I

• Get them Apex licenses for their existing deployment then convert (less expensive)
  • Convert and then get them Premiere Licenses (3x more expensive?)

Thanks for your help!

2 Replies 2

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The approach would depend on how many Base/Plus licenses the customer currently has, how many Apex/Premier licenses they will need, and what the expected overlap of those licenses will be.

One of the reasons the Premier licenses are more expensive is due to the new 'nested-doll' model for licensing in 3.0 and later. Instead of having to pay for 1x Base, 1x Plus, and 1x Apex for an endpoint session using an Apex feature, a single Premier license covers it all.

I would suggest having a look at the ISE 3.0 License Migration Guide to see how the conversion works to determine the best approach for your customer.

I think buying the Apex licenses pre migration would cost less as when you migrate the licenses to the new model you would not need to purchase any additional licenses to get Apex in that case. However, if you migrate to the new model, and you need Apex licenses, you need to buy additional Premier licenses which will include base and plus licenses as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: