cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do the new ISE 3600 series appliances support serial console ?

llahteen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am getting reports that the serial console in 36XX appliances does not work.

Datasheet says that appliance has a serial connector but 36XX installation guide has removed the following section that is present in 35XX installation guide:

-- snip --

Your Cisco SNS-3515 or Cisco SNS-3595 appliance has a DCE-mode console port for connecting a console terminal to your appliance. The appliance uses a DB-9 serial connector for the console port.

The console port on the Cisco SNS-3515 or Cisco SNS-3595 appliance includes an EIA/TIA-232 asynchronous serial (DB-9) connector. This serial console connector (port) allows you to access the appliance locally by connecting a terminal—either a PC running terminal-emulation software or an ASCII terminal—to the console port.

-- snip --

If we have a terminal server in the equipment room using a serial console is more convenient that setting IP addresses in CIMC.

Could this be a bug, a (missing) feature or a user error ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

The physical console port on any UCS server does not give you direct access to the CIMC.  That would be an amazing feature I have to say! :)

The console port is wired to the main motherboard and makes itself available to the operating system, and not the CIMC.

CIMC is available via the IP-based interface methods (CIMC interface or shared on the other interfaces).

View solution in original post

To close this thread:

To enable serial console in new 3615/3655/3695 appliances you need to disable Serial-over-LAN setting in CIMC:

demo-cimc# scope sol
demo-cimc /sol # show
Enabled Baud Rate(bps)  Com Port SOL SSH Port
------- --------------- -------- -------------
yes     115200          com0     2400
demo-cimc /sol # set enabled no
demo-cimc /sol *# commit
demo-cimc /sol # show
no      115200          com0     2400

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

The physical console port on any UCS server does not give you direct access to the CIMC.  That would be an amazing feature I have to say! :)

The console port is wired to the main motherboard and makes itself available to the operating system, and not the CIMC.

CIMC is available via the IP-based interface methods (CIMC interface or shared on the other interfaces).

I don't want to access CIMC via serial port but I would like to access ADEOS using serial port - so that I can utilise my terminal server to access ISE remotely without having to set IP address on CIMC. Setting IP on CIMC requires a monitor and a keyboard or some dhcpd tuning. Besides having RS-232C to all critical communications equipment gives me warm and fuzzy feeling. 

To close this thread:

To enable serial console in new 3615/3655/3695 appliances you need to disable Serial-over-LAN setting in CIMC:

demo-cimc# scope sol
demo-cimc /sol # show
yes     115200          com0     2400
demo-cimc /sol # set enabled no
demo-cimc /sol *# commit
demo-cimc /sol # show
no      115200          com0     2400