cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EAP-MD5 authentication Failing with 22056 Subject not found

M. Wisely
Level 4
Level 4

We have Mitel phones which we're trying to get to authenticate. We're using an internal user account and there is an authentication rule that points usernames beginning mitel to the internal users data store. When I plug the phone in I see only failed authentications with the above failure reason.

In the authentication report I can see that the selected identity stores only lists internal users.

I've double checked and the username in the request matches the username I created.

We're running v2.1

Thanks

9 Replies 9

paul
Level 10
Level 10

What condition are you using to match the username in your authentication rule?  Post a screen shot of the details. 

Screenshot-2018-1-30 Identity Services Engine.png

vrostowsky
Level 5
Level 5

Check in the RADIUS logs and make sure that it is really failing authentication, and not the authorization step.  You can use wildcards if you need to use static conditions.  Make sure that your identity sequence has the applicable stores in it, and that the authentication policy is set to continue if authentication fails, and to continue to the next store if the user is not found. 

HTH

Vince

M. Wisely
Level 4
Level 4
11001 Received RADIUS Access-Request
11017 RADIUS created a new session
11117 Generated a new session ID for a 3rd party NAD
15049 Evaluating Policy Group
15008 Evaluating Service Selection Policy
15048 Queried PIP - Normalised Radius.RadiusFlowType
15048 Queried PIP - Network Access.Device IP Address
15048 Queried PIP - Radius.User-Name
15004 Matched rule - Mitel Phones
11507 Extracted EAP-Response/Identity
12300 Prepared EAP-Request proposing PEAP with challenge
11006 Returned RADIUS Access-Challenge
11018 RADIUS is re-using an existing session
12001 Extracted EAP-Response/NAK requesting to use EAP-MD5 instead
12000 Prepared EAP-Request proposing EAP-MD5 with challenge
11006 Returned RADIUS Access-Challenge
11018 RADIUS is re-using an existing session
12002 Extracted EAP-Response containing EAP-MD5 challenge-response and accepting EAP-MD5 as negotiated
15041 Evaluating Identity Policy
15006 Matched Default Rule
15013 Selected Identity Source - Internal Users
24210 Looking up User in Internal Users IDStore - mitelphone1 
24216 The user is not found in the internal users identity store
22056 Subject not found in the applicable identity store(s)
22058 The advanced option that is configured for an unknown user is used
22061 The 'Reject' advanced option is configured in case of a failed authentication request
12006 EAP-MD5 authentication failed
11504 Prepared EAP-Failure
11003 Returned RADIUS Access-Reject

Also, remember that it is the device that is authenticating, not the username (the mitel username is for SIP with your voice system).  You will need to make sure your identity sequence continues to the Internal Endpoint store, as this is where the device exits.  Just test with the condition above, and it should work.  I also break my Policies up to manage them better:

VPN policy

Wireless policy

Dot1x policy

MAB policy

Default policy

This way you can assign the authentication and authorization conditions with much more control

HTH-

Vince

It's been configured with a username and password to authenticate to the network. This is separate from any voice config.

Surely it's only hitting the default rule because ISE cannot find the identity in the identity store specified in the authentication rule hence the error message.

We break our policy sets down as well (though in a different way).

Is the same set of the credentials working on other clients, perhaps using a different protocol?

If not already done, I would suggest to engage Cisco TAC to troubleshoot this further.

vrostowsky
Level 5
Level 5

you are matching the catch all "Default Rule" in the authentication profile for Dot1x.  You will need to look carefully at the RADIUS log under attributes.  Try creating a authentication rule that matches the Calling-Station-ID thet you see in your attributes, and place it above your default.

Vince

We have Avaya phones set up the same. Do you use 1 account for all phones?

Below is the flow I use.

Capture.JPG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: