cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Freeware radius or tacacs aaa servers?

marekkurowski
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone use any freeware servers for aaa. I started confiduring one called FreeRadius (windows version) and I'm aving some issues... Anyway I'm looking for a freeware (preferably windows OS) AAA server. Anyone use anything other thatn the cisco acs? I want to try others before we decide on what to go with...

Thank you.

9 Replies 9

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

The obvious choice would be IAS - comes as a standard part of Windows Server.

That said... I've seen ACS selling on ebay for not much :)

Thanks,

I'll have to read up on it.

Basically I'm trying to do aaa over telnet...

How much does the cisco acs cost, any idea (official copy, not ebay)?

does IAS support command authorization, limiting certain cisco commands??

ah, if you want TACACS+ command authorisation there is only one product: ACS.

All the major resellers ship ACS for around $4000.

Is it 4k for the software alone, or is it hardware/software. I would probably be more into the software... For example I have configured the acs 3.3 trial, and how much would it cost to get that activate into a non trial version. If it's even possible...

software.

does radius support command authorization, or is it just tacacs+? thanks again..

It is my understanding that radius does not support command authorization. I believe that radius will authorize in the same transaction in which it authenticates, so it does not autorize commands.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

yep you're right, I verified it, thanks for helping.

I have found an older cisco implementation of tacacs+

http://www.gazi.edu.tr/tacacs/index.php

it seems that this thing is basically a cisco tacacs+ freeware. I am now stuck at trying to make it run on redhat, after installing and verifying the rpm... Has anyone any experience with this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: