Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availabitly VM & Licensing Question

Johnny Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Performing an ISE design and have the following questions:

1. To be sure, the R-ISE-5VM-K9= provides for 5VM's, correct?
  2. If using a virtual appliance for ISE, is HA supported?  If so, do I just 2xVM appliance for HA?
  3. Concerning licenses (admin, Base, Plus) and HA, do just double the number of licenses to accommodation the HA design?
  4. Customer has a whole bunch (in the thousands) Base licenses acquired through CiscoOne.  To provide TACACS, do I still need to configure L-ISE-BSE-100= base licenses for the admin access to work?
  5. Is there a rule of thumb on the ratio between Plus and Base licenses?  Customer has not guideline; hence, asking.

Please advice.  Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These are some basic issues I hope you are engaged with experienced local sales team to check overall and be advised

please reference ISE ordering guide and the admin guide under deployment models

Would recommend going thru 4d training as well

Yes

1. If using a virtual appliance for ISE, is HA supported? If so, do I just 2xVM appliance for HA?

Hardware virtual doesn’t matter it all works the same you will need a minimum of 2 boxes for high availability for a small deployment

1. Concerning licenses (admin, Base, Plus) and HA, do just double the number of licenses to accommodation the HA design?

No these licenses are installed in the deployment as a package , please reference license FAQ

1. Customer has a whole bunch (in the thousands) Base licenses acquired through CiscoOne. To provide TACACS, do I still need to configure L-ISE-BSE-100= base licenses for the admin access to work?

NO just purchase the tacacs license

1. Is there a rule of thumb on the ratio between Plus and Base licenses? Customer has not guideline; hence, asking.

Depends what they are using the licenses for, this is also explained In the licensing faq

Sent from my iPhone

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These are some basic issues I hope you are engaged with experienced local sales team to check overall and be advised

please reference ISE ordering guide and the admin guide under deployment models

Would recommend going thru 4d training as well

Yes

1. If using a virtual appliance for ISE, is HA supported? If so, do I just 2xVM appliance for HA?

Hardware virtual doesn’t matter it all works the same you will need a minimum of 2 boxes for high availability for a small deployment

1. Concerning licenses (admin, Base, Plus) and HA, do just double the number of licenses to accommodation the HA design?

No these licenses are installed in the deployment as a package , please reference license FAQ

1. Customer has a whole bunch (in the thousands) Base licenses acquired through CiscoOne. To provide TACACS, do I still need to configure L-ISE-BSE-100= base licenses for the admin access to work?

NO just purchase the tacacs license

1. Is there a rule of thumb on the ratio between Plus and Base licenses? Customer has not guideline; hence, asking.

Depends what they are using the licenses for, this is also explained In the licensing faq

Sent from my iPhone

Jason, thanks so much.  Can you refer me to the License FAQ, please?

Part of this doc

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/security/identity-services-engine/guide_c07-656177.pdf

Also here is an nice doc

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-3/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_23/b_ise_admin_guide_23_chapter_0110.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: