cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Install ISE 2.7 on SNS-3655 but application failed to start

david.tran
Level 4
Level 4

I installed ISE 2.7 on the SNS-3655 and everything is properly installed.  When presented with the "setup" to configure the device for the first time, I assigned the correct IP, netmask, gateway, DNS, NTP and the device took about 30 minutes to setup.  I am able to log back in via ssh without any issues.  I then went back in and setup NIC teaming (Gigabit Ethernet 0 as the Active and Gigabit Ethernet 1 as the standby).  After that, the application restarted by itself.  I left the box like that for an hour and I am still seeing the application is in "initializing".  I rebooted the box several times but no help.  See below.  Any ideas?

show application status ise

ISE PROCESS NAME STATE PROCESS ID
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Database Listener running 63731
Database Server running 238 PROCESSES
Application Server initializing
Profiler Database running 49508
ISE Indexing Engine running 46283
AD Connector running 47917
M&T Session Database running 71869
M&T Log Processor running 70575
Certificate Authority Service running 47723
EST Service not running
SXP Engine Service disabled
Docker Daemon running 54075
TC-NAC Service disabled

Wifi Setup Helper Container disabled
pxGrid Infrastructure Service disabled
pxGrid Publisher Subscriber Service disabled
pxGrid Connection Manager disabled
pxGrid Controller disabled
PassiveID WMI Service disabled

14 Replies 14

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
# application stop ise
# application start ise

still issue reload and test it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

david.tran
Level 4
Level 4

@balaji.bandi:  Isn't rebooting the device accomplishing the same thing?  I did and still have issue.

when you reload issue, the device not rebooting you mean, is this production ? (not sure you can power off the device and power, dpends on the environment).

BB

I reboot the box and after it comes up, application is still "initializing" after 30 minutes.

other step i can think of was, since you mentioned this was caused of interface change.

command level try this :

application stop ise

show interface    - see the interface any one shutdown.

so bounce back the interface

config t

interface gi x

shut

no shut

application start ise

BB

I have no choice but to perform the NIC teaming after setup.  There is no work around that.  

What you suggested make no sense because reboot accomplishes exactly the same thing.  

I installed ISE 3.0 on another SNS-3655 and that one works....

I decided to re-install ISE 2.7 on the problem SNS-3655 and everything works this time around.

As per i know something has not gone write, the application only comes up when there is an IP address, so that was the suggestion made as per the experience I had before. even you reboot the config of the interface lost - reboot can not fix that, it required that config as i can think ok.

Sure re-image always works, since it is a new setup, and this time the config went a success as expected.

But can we find out what went wrong before ? NO - but anyway glad all working as expected.

BB

@balaji.bandi :  apparently you didn't the thread.  This is what I said:  "When presented with the "setup" to configure the device for the first time, I assigned the correct IP, netmask, gateway, DNS, NTP and the device took about 30 minutes to setup.  I am able to log back in via ssh without any issues.  I then went back in and setup NIC teaming (Gigabit Ethernet 0 as the Active and Gigabit Ethernet 1 as the standby)."

I do assign IP address to the device.  It is the NIC teaming that I configured after.  That is how it works as recommended to TAC. 

The application on the device failed to start after multiple reboot.  

I re-imaged the appliance with the EXACT steps I did when it failed and everything works this time around.  

Oh well... Had this issue with ISE 2.7 build several times.  No issue with ISE 3.0 ISO

May be there is confuision here i guess - appolgies here...never seen that issue myself, but you happy with ISE 3.0 ? if not and you still looking to 2.7 worth raising TAC case.

BB

I don't want to waste my time with TAC.  

My current environment is ISE 2.2.  Therefore, I can not upgrade directly to ISE 3.0.  My plan is to export the ISE 2.2 configuration and import it into ISE 2.7 appliance.  After that, I will upgrade the ISE 2.7 appliance to ISE 3.0.

Am I happy with ISE 3.0?  I don't know yet

I don't want to waste my time with TAC.  

TAC is the experts and they might have seen this kind of issue around globe, so they can suggest you best option.

As of now Cisco still suggest 2.7 with patches, ISE 3.0 has good features but again this is business call.

BB

@balaji.bandi :  You're wrong.  Cisco has recommended ISE 3.0 for a few months now.  If you go to the download site, ISE 3.0 gets the "star" release, which means it is the "preferred" release.  ISE 2.7 was the "preferred" release until a few months ago.

Thank you for the input, not gone that route since many months download area - I know customer still with 2.7 and stable -  i know ISE 3.0 released with good features (not aware ready for production). But as i mentioned its stable and business choice.

BB

> I don't want to waste my time with TAC. 

3 days of back and forth plus a week of no further community responses. Should have called TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: