Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.0 licensing

Hello all,

Currently I am running a standalone deployment of an ISE 2.0.1.
I want to deploy an ISE 2.0 in an distributed environment, and have some questions regarding licensing:

- I want to deploy every node as VM, do I need a VM license for each node?
- When setting up my nodes, do I have to enter everywhere toe Edit: I don't know what I wrote threre, was in a hurry.
- I will need TACACS+, what is the product identifier for the "device administration licence"?
- When I want to deploy one primary and one secondary admin node, do I need two base licences?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You get the basic functionality (AAA/802.1x auth, guest management, etc.) for the clients with the Base license. That will cover you for wired and wireless users. The VM license is only for allowing you to install ISE on a VM host. The VM license does not include any other licensing (e.g. Base).

For the second part: Yes. 10 VM licenses, the number of Base licenses equal to or greater than the number of concurrent users you believe you will have, and the Device Administration license for TACACS+ is all you need for the starting point. You do not need the Device Administration license if you will not be using ISE as a TACACS+ server. You can always add the other licenses (Plus and Apex) later for additional functionality.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Joseph Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

1. Yes, you will need a VM license for each node in the deployment.

2. Not sure what your question is but there isn't anything you need to enter to set up the node as far as the server licensing goes.

3. The product identifier is whatever is shown under Administration > Licensing or the show udi CLI command.

4. No. Base licenses are for clients. You order the number based on the expected concurrent client count and install them on the Primary admin node. They will automatically rollover to the secondary. When you submit the PAK, you will need the UDI info from both the primary and secondary admin nodes.

Hello Josep, hello Marvin,

thanks for your replies.

To number 4: with "base licenses" I didn't mean the client base licenses, but the smalles license required to run an ISE, as shown in the first table in "http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-0/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_20/b_ise_admin_guide_20_chapter_0110.html"

Or do I get this wrong, and both license types I mentioned are the same and I get the base functionality with the client base license?

Annother question:
So when I say that I will set up 10 nodes (1 primary admin, 1 secondary admin, 2 monitor nodes and 6 policy service nodes), will I only need:
- 10 VM licences? ("ISE-10VM-K9", a package bundle with 10 VM licences)
- Licenses depending on the number of my clients (For example: "L-ISE-BSE-2500", for 2500 endpoints)
- the Device Administration license "L-ISE-TACACS.=." 

Thanks again for your help, as a student trying to get into the Cisco AAA environment, this forum here is very helpful!

You get the basic functionality (AAA/802.1x auth, guest management, etc.) for the clients with the Base license. That will cover you for wired and wireless users. The VM license is only for allowing you to install ISE on a VM host. The VM license does not include any other licensing (e.g. Base).

For the second part: Yes. 10 VM licenses, the number of Base licenses equal to or greater than the number of concurrent users you believe you will have, and the Device Administration license for TACACS+ is all you need for the starting point. You do not need the Device Administration license if you will not be using ISE as a TACACS+ server. You can always add the other licenses (Plus and Apex) later for additional functionality.

Hello Marvin,

in case when there are two SN-3515 applicances, do we need one or two Device Administration licenses "L-ISE-TACACS, to be able to provide high availability?

Thank you in advance,

Nikola

HI Nikola,
I assume it depends on whether your two applicances are in the same ISE cluster or are both running as separate instances, not knowing each other.
In case they are in the same cluster, you will only need one license, as licences are distributed on the whole deployment, otherwise you will need two.

But I think [@mrhoads-cco]  can give you a more reliable answer.

Greetings,
Max

nikolami11  ,

[@usi.usinger]  is correct. The Device Administration license needs only be purchased once for a given deployment. It (and all ISE licenses) is good for the entire deployment, includes all nodes.

For HA, you need to enable to role in both of your nodes once you've installed the license.

Remember that TACACS (or RADIUS) HA also depends on the capabilities of the network device (switch, router WLC etc.). Most Cisco devices use the first server in a AAA method list unless and until it is unavailable. Then it fails over the the second (third etc.). So you usually don't get load balancing unless you have your AAA server behind a load balancer or application delivery controller (like Citrix Netscaler or F5 Big-IP LTM).

Hi Marvin,

Can you please explain what if we have 4 ISE servers on two different locations, on each location 2 servers for high availability? How many Device Admin licenses and Base licenses we need in that case. For example 500 Base users in total.

Thank you so much in advance!

Best regards,

Bojana

bojanapavlica  ,

As long as it's all one ISE deployment, the licenses are per deployment - no matter whether it is one node or 100. You do have to buy the appliances or VMs separately (for support) but the ISE licenses are shared across the deployment.

If by base users you are talking endpoints (not network devices for which ISE is the TACACS+ server) then you would need 500 Base licenses.

The Device Admin license is only purchased as quantity one for the entire deployment no matter how many devices you are managing.

Thank you Martin so much for your quick reply and explanation.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Bojana

You're welcome.

Please rate helpful replies.

Is this still true in 2.4?  Can't find the reference. 

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically the VMs aren't licenses that you redeem and install but you need to buy the ISE VM product for each VM you install.

Nothing will prevent a user technically from downloading once and installing many times but they would be violating the terms of use / End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) that they agree to when they downloaded the OVA.

The device admin license product identifier(SKU or Stock Keeping Unit) is L-ISE-TACACS.=. 

Hello Marvin,

thanks for your reply.
My answer is beyond Josephs reply.