cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.3 hangs every 4 hrs

G2000
Level 1
Level 1

Installed ISE 2.3 EVAL at VMware vSphere, 6*CPU/16G RAM/600G HDD.

If ISE was booted at 8:30am, then around 4hrs later, we found can't login via console or PuTTY or GUI, just stuck after keyin username and password, meantime network connection is good.

Found other people had same situations but couldn't find any useful information to fix it, anybody can help on this? thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

bravojared
Level 4
Level 4

Can you verify if VMWARE snapshots are disabled for this VM?

This can occur when snapshots are run, and snapshots are not supported with ISE.

View solution in original post

AbteenZ
Level 1
Level 1

For us it was our backup solution (Avamar) that was causing this issue on version 2.4 patch 7.

It is a snapshot based solution which explains it all.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

bravojared
Level 4
Level 4

Can you verify if VMWARE snapshots are disabled for this VM?

This can occur when snapshots are run, and snapshots are not supported with ISE.

Yep, this exact thing happened to me and we had to turn off snapshots (TAC advice) and it has been solid ever since..... Very weird.

Thanks Jared and Darren, we did find the VM snapshots issue occurred.12.jpg

I still have this issue on my ISE2.3 patch 2.  I have snapshot set to 0.  ESXi6.5  VM  ver 13

snapshot.MaxSnapshots - 0

I wonder how did you guys disable snapshot?  Is there different way?

I have an existing TAC open for this, but any help or suggestion for a fix, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Allan

Hi Angelito,

I found this thread looking for ISE and maxsnapshots to see if that was a solution.

none of the above answers saying "we turned off snapshots" seem to give hints about how they actually achieved this.

we avoided the issue by just 'not snapshotting'..

it required a bunch of workarounds to achieve it though, and i'd rather "fix it properly"

pretty substandard in this day and age to not support snapshot tech.

i'll note that we did see this issue prior to upgrading to version 2.

care to share the tac case?

good luck,

-Quentin

The bug ID for non-support of VM snapshots is CSCvd32574 (status: terminated, "No release planned to fix this bug").

Honestly I think we'd be better off with physical ISE nodes.  I mean, Cisco also says to disable vMotion per CSCvi03454..

Hi Quentin,

I got it figure it out, we have Netapps add-on installed in our vm environment and on the background somehow its initiating a snapshot on the entire datastore.  I had to create a separate datastore for my ISE vm to exclude it from a volume backup which initiate the snapshot.

Thanks

Allan

Yep, that's exactly our workaround also. The only system in our entire environment that needed such a workaround..

Hi, so if this happens we should disable the snapshots and to get ISE working we should restart the VMs?

Correct.

AbteenZ
Level 1
Level 1

For us it was our backup solution (Avamar) that was causing this issue on version 2.4 patch 7.

It is a snapshot based solution which explains it all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: