Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.3 Integration with AD - apostrphies in usernames

gregmoyse3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an ISE 2.3 (patch 4) deployment that is linked to our AD environment.  Our AD username policy allows apostrophies (e.g. domain\dave.o'smith).

I have a staff WiFi area that uses the AD for authentication of users.  Does ISE allow apostrophies, or should the user names be plain (i.e. domian\dave.osmith).

At the moment, I have the 22056 - subject not found in applicible identity stores.

Where in ISE 2.3 can I find a detailed log of which identity stores ISE has tried?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I don't see anything saying it should be a problem but will reach out to an expert on this matter. Please check out https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/212594-debugs-to-troubleshoot-on-ise.html#anc25

View solution in original post

howon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That username should work, so expect it to be some other issue. On the live log, click on the details for the authentication event and it should tell you which identity store ISE tried. It should be listed in the Steps on the right hand side. See example below:

15041 Evaluating Identity Policy
22072 Selected identity source sequence - All_User_ID_Stores
15013 Selected Identity Source - Internal Users
24210 Looking up User in Internal Users IDStore - EXAMPLE\admin
24216 The user is not found in the internal users identity store
15013 Selected Identity Source - All_AD_Join_Points
24430 Authenticating user against Active Directory - All_AD_Join_Points
24325 Resolving identity - EXAMPLE\admin
24313 Search for matching accounts at join point - example.com
24315 Single matching account found in domain - example.com
24323 Identity resolution detected single matching account
24343 RPC Logon request succeeded - admin@example.com
24402 User authentication against Active Directory succeeded - All_AD_Join_Points
22037 Authentication Passed

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I don't see anything saying it should be a problem but will reach out to an expert on this matter. Please check out https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/212594-debugs-to-troubleshoot-on-ise.html#anc25

After a bit of troubleshooting, I found that this was affecting Apple devices.  Windows and Android were okay.

A quick Google showed me an atricle where it appears that since IOS 11, a feature called 'Smart Punctuation' is replacing the vertical apostrophe (hex27) with a slanted one (unicode 2018, 2019), depending on where in the sentance the apostrophe is placed.

See https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/89706

howon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That username should work, so expect it to be some other issue. On the live log, click on the details for the authentication event and it should tell you which identity store ISE tried. It should be listed in the Steps on the right hand side. See example below:

15041 Evaluating Identity Policy
22072 Selected identity source sequence - All_User_ID_Stores
15013 Selected Identity Source - Internal Users
24210 Looking up User in Internal Users IDStore - EXAMPLE\admin
24216 The user is not found in the internal users identity store
15013 Selected Identity Source - All_AD_Join_Points
24430 Authenticating user against Active Directory - All_AD_Join_Points
24325 Resolving identity - EXAMPLE\admin
24313 Search for matching accounts at join point - example.com
24315 Single matching account found in domain - example.com
24323 Identity resolution detected single matching account
24343 RPC Logon request succeeded - admin@example.com
24402 User authentication against Active Directory succeeded - All_AD_Join_Points
22037 Authentication Passed