Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 TACACS license

Rss
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I´m planning to upgrade from ISE 2.0 to 2.3 (2 PSN), I decided to use 2.3 because I´m using a one license TACACS demo for the entire deployment ( legacy L-ISE-TACACS = ), and I read in another post that starting in ISE 2.4 I would need one license per PSN (L-ISE-TACACS-ND).

As well, I could see in Q and A ordering guide ISE licensing that the legacy Tacacs license will be available for all deployment after upgrade if previously purchased.
Q. We purchased Device Admin previously. Do I need to buy more licenses if I upgrade to 2.4? A. If you purchased Device Admin as a deployment-wide license, you can continue to utilize all nodes in the deployment for TACACS+ transactions even after upgrade to 2.4. This means the license entitles your deployment to the maximum number of nodes supported by ISE for the deployment.

So I dont know if after upgrade (If required ISE 2.4) my actual license will be available for my entire deployment.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @Rss

Whether you build a fresh ISE 2.4 system, or upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4, the TACACS license will work fine in all cases.  Your pre-2.4 TACACS licenses are good for 50 PSN's - and will continue to do so in ISE 2.4

You can purchase the new TACACS license SKU's that are per-PSN ... and the price might be cheaper if you only need TACACS on one or two PSN's (versus the cost of the old TACACS SKU). 

In ISE 2.4 you will notice that the TACACS consumption is displayed as per Service (i.e. the number of PSN's where TACACS is enabled).  e.g. in Smart Licensing portal, for a 2 PSN deployment,  you'll see "Available=50, Consumed=2".

What will happen in ISE 2.5 and beyond?  That would be interesting.  Maybe a question for the the ISE 2.5 beta forum.

cheers

View solution in original post

Yes - the mind boggles at the pricing.  Maybe I got it wrong, and rather check with a Cisco SE/AM about this.

My prices are in Australian Dollars.  But at least you can see the relative differences between the old and the new.  I think the old TACACS SKU was heavily discounted to encourage ACS customers to move over to ISE.  But the good times are coming to an end.  End of Sale of the old licenses is 18 Feb 2019

TACACS.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @Rss

Whether you build a fresh ISE 2.4 system, or upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4, the TACACS license will work fine in all cases.  Your pre-2.4 TACACS licenses are good for 50 PSN's - and will continue to do so in ISE 2.4

You can purchase the new TACACS license SKU's that are per-PSN ... and the price might be cheaper if you only need TACACS on one or two PSN's (versus the cost of the old TACACS SKU). 

In ISE 2.4 you will notice that the TACACS consumption is displayed as per Service (i.e. the number of PSN's where TACACS is enabled).  e.g. in Smart Licensing portal, for a 2 PSN deployment,  you'll see "Available=50, Consumed=2".

What will happen in ISE 2.5 and beyond?  That would be interesting.  Maybe a question for the the ISE 2.5 beta forum.

cheers

Thanks Arne

Very helpul the information you share.

But the new license is much more expensive ,  right?, I need to buy 2 for my PSN´s.     

L-ISE-TACACS-ND=          $10000.00 x 2 license

or is not correct the price list?

Regards

No, you're right. It is more expensive.

Yes - the mind boggles at the pricing.  Maybe I got it wrong, and rather check with a Cisco SE/AM about this.

My prices are in Australian Dollars.  But at least you can see the relative differences between the old and the new.  I think the old TACACS SKU was heavily discounted to encourage ACS customers to move over to ISE.  But the good times are coming to an end.  End of Sale of the old licenses is 18 Feb 2019

TACACS.png

Arne/dodgerfan

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: